Breaking out of ice

Hello! Is there a way to have an entity be removed from a frozen state? I'm coding a sortof Ice Statue thing and need my character to be frozen for exactly 0.5 seconds. I can freeze them, but can't unfreeze them on demand.

This is what I tried, but I don't think RemoveColdness is a real thing.

local function FreezeStomp(inst)
    if inst.components.freezable then
	  	inst:AddColdness(10)
    end
	inst:DoTaskInTime(0.5, function(inst)
      if inst.components.freezable then
	  	inst:RemoveColdness(10)
      end)
 end

According to the server log, RemoveColdness is nil, so what can I use or do to break my character out of the frozen state?

Edit: To be clear, I need them to be frozen first, I can't just resist the freeze entirely, it defeats the point.

If this isn't possible, is there a way to just call the animation? Then I could combine that with a speed modifier of 0x to kindof freeze them.

Edited by TheSkylarr
Forgot to finish writing

If you take a peek into freezable.lua, I see there is a function called Unfreeze()  You might want to give that a try. Looking into component files is always a good way to get an idea of what you can do with them. inst.components.freezable:Unfreeze()

Alternatively, I believe the frozen state is, well, a state. Meaning that you could force someone out of it by simply forcing them into another state, like  inst.sg:GoToState("idle")

I'm unsure if there could be consequences to doing this manually, like if frozen values would build up if not removed properly, but it's something to consider.

EDIT: Oh, I just noticed you were trying to call freezable component functions on inst by itself. I'm surprised this doesn't just crash the game. You're probably looking for inst.components.freezable:AddColdness(10)

But yea, RemoveColdness() doesn't exist. Buuut, I think you can put negative values into AddColdness()

Edited by pickleplayer
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, pickleplayer said:

If you take a peek into freezable.lua, I see there is a function called Unfreeze()  You might want to give that a try. Looking into component files is always a good way to get an idea of what you can do with them. inst.components.freezable:Unfreeze()

Alternatively, I believe the frozen state is, well, a state. Meaning that you could force someone out of it by simply forcing them into another state, like  inst.sg:GoToState("idle")

I'm unsure if there could be consequences to doing this manually, like if frozen values would build up if not removed properly, but it's something to consider.

EDIT: Oh, I just noticed you were trying to call freezable component functions on inst by itself. I'm surprised this doesn't just crash the game. You're probably looking for inst.components.freezable:AddColdness(10)

But yea, RemoveColdness() doesn't exist. Buuut, I think you can put negative values into AddColdness()

It doesn't crash the game because this is actually inside of a function called by the server when a player presses a key, so inst is directly linked to the player. Thanks for the help, I'll start looking into stuff like this, I figured it was built into the engine or something and I couldn't access help like that.

10 minutes ago, TheSkylarr said:

It doesn't crash the game because this is actually inside of a function called by the server when a player presses a key, so inst is directly linked to the player. Thanks for the help, I'll start looking into stuff like this, I figured it was built into the engine or something and I couldn't access help like that.

Do you know how to look at the game files? It was a little easier back when I started modding, but the scripts are tucked inside of a zipped folder now.

It's still a great thing to have access to, and essential for anyone learning to mod. Using notepadd++'s "find in files" feature centered on the scripts folder is the best way to quickly learn how things are used in the game's programming. 

There are a few things that are built into the engine that we can't see, but it's pretty rare.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pickleplayer said:

Do you know how to look at the game files? It was a little easier back when I started modding, but the scripts are tucked inside of a zipped folder now.

It's still a great thing to have access to, and essential for anyone learning to mod. Using notepadd++'s "find in files" feature centered on the scripts folder is the best way to quickly learn how things are used in the game's programming. 

There are a few things that are built into the engine that we can't see, but it's pretty rare.

I do know how to look into them, but I've only ever looked at prefab scripts. I didn't know components and such were also stored in scripts there.

I also didn't know about find in files, thank you! I just tried it and it's super useful!

• Like 1