Anim / .bin & SCML compiling?

.scml files need to be compiled by the game's default autocompiler, which runs at startup.

So, put your files inside exported with the right hierarchy (I think you need a folder which is the name of the animation, and inside of that another folder with the same name if I'm not mistaken), get the mod ingame (or put it into your mod folder) and then open Don't Starve Together.

Or you can use the command prompt to manually run the autocompiler.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AndRay said:

.scml files need to be compiled by the game's default autocompiler, which runs at startup.

So, put your files inside exported with the right hierarchy (I think you need a folder which is the name of the animation, and inside of that another folder with the same name if I'm not mistaken), get the mod ingame (or put it into your mod folder) and then open Don't Starve Together.

Or you can use the command prompt to manually run the autocompiler.

so I've done exactly what you described and my stuff got compiled into a .zip, but instead of being the .bin files I get an "animation.xml" & a "build.xml" along with what seems to be all of the PNGs used in the animation. Is this good? Can i just use this or do I still need to further convert it to the proper bins and text file?

image.png

Edited by SuperMeatGoy

Okay, you have a bad file hierarchy then. I'll try to clear up what I remember and see if it helps.

I'll talk about an animation file for bacon, just so the name is clear. And I'll call my mod eggs.

So, inside eggs, there must be an exported folder. Inside that, a folder called bacon. Inside that another folder called bacon.

The internal bacon folder must have the image files the .scml needs. The outer bacon folder must have a .scml file named bacon, that uses the images in the internal bacon folder. That bacon.scml file must have the animation and bank correctly named, both also to bacon (these are the "folder" bits in the right side panel in Spriter)

Does it make sense? I'm sorry it's a bit confusing, but as far as I know the naming conventions are not optional.

• Like 1

I understand but I have two questions:

1: When I move the SCML to the outer folder & move everything in subfolders of the inner folder to just the inner folder, all of the pictures used in the spriter animation become invisible.

2: Where do i go in spriter to rename the animation and bank?

You need to re-do your animation :/ You are using the wrong file locations when you change the asset location place, and Spriter goes "oh no, I guess those will come later, better save their spot"

Just double-click on the slot and you can rename it. I'll send a screenshot.

I dunno why I didn't open my example file before, I'm sorry :(

Oh, and the asset names can be whatever. Just be sure that you're using a correct .png (no added info or compressed or anything) otherwise the game won't compile them. Default setting for GIMP exporting worked for me.

example.png

Edited by AndRay
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AndRay said:

If the animation is not that complicated it's easier to just start over. You might have started with the wrong root folder and if so, there is no easy fix.

Is there any way i can open up spriter twice? if so, couldnt I just copypaste the animation?

EDIT: im just going to test this myself i figured out where to find spriter in steam's files

Edited by SuperMeatGoy

ok so i have two scmls open, one of them is the scml in the inner folder (works just fine) and the other is the same scml pasted in the outer folder (doesnt work). The animation is like all 6 or 7 of the butterfly's animations that i slightly tweaked and gave bigger wingers to. They are way too complicated to try and recreate from scratch, especially considering that this is merely for a test to see if I can get this to work or not. Do you know how to copy and paste keyframes?