[MOD REQUEST] Critter Priority Rework

Starvation ranching is hard on the computer.  I have a one tile slickster pen with over 700 slicksters in it and it makes the critters take forever do to things.  This is, as far as I know, a rather extreme example, but others play with large numbers stacked critters like shine bugs, shovel voles, and dreckos.

This has gotten to the point where I have seen a critter walk in to a 2 tile high liquid and just sit there until it died, even though it could have walked to safety. 

It also can take several minutes in-game time for critters to respond to dupes calling them to the grooming station, which has forced me to play the game at normal speed to prevent my food supplies from dropping.

I don't know if this proposal is possible given the modding tools available.  But if it is possible, I feel it provide a great performance improvement to ranching (even if you only have a few hundred critters).  EDIT:  Actually, it would decrease the effect of the performance penalties from having large numbers of critters.

1. Make it so critters who are called to stations by dupes (grooming stations, sheering stations, critter dropoffs, etc) get priority in the critter-queue over other critters.  This should make things like grooming snappier and make the ranchers not lose efficiency due to performance issues even if the critters eat and act slower.
  2. Make it so that if a critter is drowning, they get a single chance to save themselves before they die.  This will make it so that critters who are dying can save themselves.  Perhaps we could do something with starvation too, but I feel that one is a bit iffier.

I feel like this would fix the primary problems with massive ranches and would greatly improve the ONI ranching experience.  I believe it would let players have thousands or tens of thousands of critters before they experience any severe game-breaking performance problems.

Archived