Hounds dropping Bone Shards

_test

FIRST TIME POSTING BE GENTLE

I only want a way for bone shards to be easily be renewable. Is there some sort of mod that solves this? If not how do I configure the drops of Hounds? (Reign Of Giants), thanks.

Not sure if this would help, as I am a new modder for Don't Starve myself, but perhaps you could look into mods that modify loot tables / drop rates such as this one: 

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=380423963&searchtext=gems

For example in Star's modmain.lua, this section adds a chance of boulders dropping blue or purple gems:

--Boulder
    AddLoot('rock1','bluegem',GetConf("boulder_blue",0.2,"Boulder Blue Gem"))
    AddLoot('rock1','purplegem',GetConf("boulder_purple",0.05,"Boulder Purple Gem"))

I believe that in this case blue gems have a 20% drop rate and purples at a 5% drop rate. "boulder_blue" and "boulder_purple" here is referring to the configuration options which can be found in modinfo.lua

Because this mod is for DST, there may be some incompatibilities, but hopefully this will lead in you in the right direction! Test around and see what results you can get (that's what I do because I'm a noob).

You are correct to pick a prefab file to alter the loot within.  If you want to make hounds the bone shard droppers, you need to edit the shared loot tables below like such and pick a number from 0 to 1 that is the chance for a hound to drop the bone shard.  I picked 50% to make it easy...

SetSharedLootTable( 'hound',
{
    {'monstermeat', 1.000},
    {'houndstooth',  0.125},
    {'boneshard',  0.5},    
})

SetSharedLootTable( 'hound_fire',
{
    {'monstermeat', 1.0},
    {'houndstooth', 1.0},
    {'houndfire',   1.0},
    {'houndfire',   1.0},
    {'houndfire',   1.0},
    {'redgem',      0.2},
    {'boneshard',  0.5},    
})

SetSharedLootTable( 'hound_cold',
{
    {'monstermeat', 1.0},
    {'houndstooth', 1.0},
    {'houndstooth', 1.0},
    {'bluegem',     0.2},
    {'boneshard',  0.5},    
})

Another easy fix for this that you may consider doing is a recipe for an item that is already renewable.  I would suggest taking houndstooth and breaking it into boneshards with flint like this...

local boneshards = Recipe("boneshards",{
        Ingredient("houndstooth", 1),
        Ingredient("flint", 1),
    },
    RECIPETABS.BONESHARDS, TECH.SCIENCE_TWO)
end

Archived