Animation (ktools)

According to what I've found, ktool is used to extract animation pngs, and a few other files from the game, allowing editing.  krane is used to extract the animation file, which is opened in spriter.  Source:  https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:MMueck/How_to_extract_animations_from_the_game

I downloaded said files from here:  

Trouble is, I downloaded the files, extracted them, and tried to run them, but my screen just flashes like the program opened and then instantly closed.  Does anyone know how these programs work?  I need the files for animating a tent, and while I have already compiled animations and pictures, I want to modify them, and then recompile the files.  I'd greatly appreciate any help you can offer.  My mod is so close to being done and I'm super excited.

4 hours ago, IThatGuyI said:

I usually use them through cmd. It looks like this:
your/path/to/krane      your/path/to/anim      your/path/to/build     your/output/folder/path

A command prompt huh?  I'm not too familiar with those, but I'll try to figure it out.

As for the commands, do I enter them all simultaneously?  With lots of spaces between them, like you've done?
The first command for example (for me) would be "C:\Users\spore\Downloads\Don't Starve Together Mod Tools\ktools-4.4.4/krane"?

Everything I typed there should be put in cmd at once but you also need to include the extensions. So krane should be krane.exe, anim should be anim.bin etc. You only need one space between each path, I just typed it that way so it's easier to read. Also I noticed that you're using Don't Starve Together Mod Tools folder which has spaces in its name. That can cause some problems and it might not work. You can try with this folder but if it doesn't work then use only one word folders (without spaces).

• Like 3

Thanks for the heads up!  I actually made a custom folder and have been tossing all my backup files in there, with the animation tools, so it's not in the default DST Mod folder, but you're right, spaces would be a problem.  I'll extracting these files soon.

In your Don't Starve Together folder in the data/anim there's a bunch of .zip folders that contain animations for the game. These folders should have  anim.bin and build.bin in them. These are the anim and build files you have to choose when extracting to .scml.
Keep in mind tho, some folders only contain the build.bin for a certain animation the anim.bin could be located in other .zip folders. Like for example, Ancient Guardian, who uses the bank (anim) of the rook that's in the rook.zip and the build of the Ancient Guardian from rook_rhino.zip. So, in some cases, you'll have to search for the correct combination of anim.bin and build.bin.

• Like 1

@IThatGuyI
I just went to try this code and realized something, weird.  A lot of the file locations have spaces in the name:  
C:\Users\spore\Downloads\DST_Mod_Tools\ktools-4.4.4\krane.exe      C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\data\anim\tent.zip\anim.bin      C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\data\anim\tent.zip\build.bin     C:\Users\spore\Downloads\DST_Mod_Tools\Tent_Animation_Files

Don't Starve Together and Program Files (x86), and while I could rename them, I'm a little worried.  Do you think the whole PC will break if I rename the Program Files?

I'm currently googling the issue and will report on what I find.

No luck..  I moved the animation files to a folder in my downloads folder, but it still doesn't seem to work. 

This is the error it produced:  C:\Users\spore> C:\Users\spore\Downloads\DST_Mod_Tools\ktools-4.4.4\krane.exe     C:\Users\spore\Downloads\DST_Mod_Tools\Tent_Animation_Files\anim.bin     C:\Users\spore\Downloads\DST_Mod_Tools\Tent_Animation_Files\build.bin     C:\Users\spore\Downloads\DST_Mod_Tools\Tent_Animation_Files
Input path `???????C:\Users\spore\Downloads\DST_Mod_Tools\Tent_Animation_Files\anim.bin' does not exist, skipping...
Loading build from `C:\Users\spore\Downloads\DST_Mod_Tools\Tent_Animation_Files\build.bin'...
Loading atlas from `C:\Users\spore\Downloads\DST_Mod_Tools\Tent_Animation_Files\atlas-0.tex'...
Loading atlas from `C:\Users\spore\Downloads\DST_Mod_Tools\Tent_Animation_Files\atlas-1.tex'...
ERROR: No animation found in the input files.

It looks like it accepted the ktool input path, rejected the anim.bin path, accepted the build.bin path, took the remaining two files even though I never told it to, and then the entire thing failed because it didn't recognize the anim.bin file.  Suggestions?

I'm reading this guide:  https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:MMueck/How_to_extract_animations_from_the_game

A-ha!  I got it!  I was correct to copy the files and put them in my own file location, but I also needed to extract the file, not simply copy the contents of the file.  It's working now!  :D

Thanks so much for the help!  With this and some practice drawing, I'll have this mod finished in,,  well a little while, haha, this dialogue file is Massive, but easy to edit.

Edited by FurryEskimo
  • Like 1

@IThatGuyI
So I got the animations extracted yesterday, but now when I try running krane it says "T
his app can't run on your pc, to find a version for your pc, check with the software publisher."  Does this seem weird to you?  I'm reading a guide on how to overcome the issue, but so far nothing has worked.

Some guides suggest 'repairing the registry' using tools like 'CCleaner', but from what I can tell that application is no longer safe, but bloated with malware..  Maybe I'll just download kcrane again and see what happens.

Edit:  I deleted my original (extracted) ktools file and re-extracted the files, and it seems to be working again.

Edited by FurryEskimo

Just ignore this.  It's an example of the code I use that actually works.  The version of ktool my PC will allow to run keeps changing, so I just keep deleting it and re-extracting the file.

C:\Users\spore\Downloads\DST_Mod_Tools\ktools-4.4.4-win32\ktools-4.4.4\krane.exe     C:\Users\spore\Downloads\DST_Mod_Tools\NanachiTent_Animation_Files\Original\nanachitent_mittywake\nanachitent_mittywake\anim.bin     C:\Users\spore\Downloads\DST_Mod_Tools\NanachiTent_Animation_Files\Original\nanachitent_mittywake\nanachitent_mittywake\build.bin    
C:\Users\spore\Downloads\DST_Mod_Tools\NanachiTent_Animation_Files\Converted\nanachitent_mittywake

• Like 1