multiple shard server and server laggy is it right?

If a dedicated-server with multiple worlds(shards) is overloaded in the first world and the ping is red, will it be the same in the second world?
I wonder if there's an independent occurrence of server lag, Then I think putting a limit on the number of people at a world (shard) will help the server performance.
so, i think the server-lag is occurring independently, right?

ex)

I am running 4 dedicated servers(master-shard-shard-shard) and if master server is a lot of users on the ground then server gonna red-yellow ping, there will be no lag in other worlds because there are few users.

I think that's right, but I'm just wondering

It can both happen:

1. One shard overloaded (due to many players, lots of items on the ground, etc, and a single core of your server not able to handle all of it at once), but plenty of other Hardware-Ressources free on the host -> only one shard laggy.

2. Host overloaded -> All Shards laggy, might be due to high load across the shards or due to the host being underspecced for a 4-shard server.

In both cases you can help reducing the lag by limiting CPU-time eating elements, such as the amount of players, the amount of scattered items (twigs, grass, seeds, rot, stingers, ...) or the amount of entities, such as bees and spiders, at once on a map.

On 7/13/2020 at 1:50 AM, Daniel86268 said:

It can both happen:

1. One shard overloaded (due to many players, lots of items on the ground, etc, and a single core of your server not able to handle all of it at once), but plenty of other Hardware-Ressources free on the host -> only one shard laggy.

2. Host overloaded -> All Shards laggy, might be due to high load across the shards or due to the host being underspecced for a 4-shard server.

In both cases you can help reducing the lag by limiting CPU-time eating elements, such as the amount of players, the amount of scattered items (twigs, grass, seeds, rot, stingers, ...) or the amount of entities, such as bees and spiders, at once on a map.

Hello! I noticed you talked about limiting the number of prefabs on a server. Is it possible to limit that number without a mod? Does the maximum number of certain prefabs have a place in the code somewhere that can be edited?

Thanks! :)

13 hours ago, Doc Arc said:

Hello! I noticed you talked about limiting the number of prefabs on a server. Is it possible to limit that number without a mod? Does the maximum number of certain prefabs have a place in the code somewhere that can be edited?

Thanks! :)

Sadly you can't accomplish that without a mod. There are some simple and sometimes quite nifty ones on the workshop though. (For example birds pick up certain items, etc.)

Archived