It appears Dupes take the straightest route between A and B, not the fastest or safest. Dupes ignore faster paths, using normal ladders instead of plastic, or walking along a ceiling instead of my pretty pretty gold brick road. Dupes will also dive into magma to pick up a resource, instead of grabbing a slightly further away but less exciting version of the resource. This is frustrating.

Currently in my game I'm using doors as blockades, forcing them to take the speedier metal path instead of going a bunch of different rooms, and sweeping everything out of the danger rooms to just outside the door. In previous games I've built a bunch of ladders to help with base accessibility, but then been frustrated when they ignore the main plastic ladder, so this time I've only built the one.

I think adding a couple values to pathing would be beneficial, and an option so players can choose what to prioritise. i.e. standard, speed, safety and s-decor.

Choosing decor would mean dupes would take minor detours to walk through parks and such, which I think owuld be a cute touch, and allow players to boost morale without having to strongarm dupes through base design.

Thanks for reading!

They also build themselves into walls and hang out in my sleet wheat farm then complain about being cold...  My take-away is that Dups are just not very bright.

I get particularly frustrated when I build something from iron, copper, or gold amalgam (like a transformer, for example) and the Dups source 600°F raw material from the surface (or 2000°F material from a volcano) and it instantly overheats and cooks everything around it.

Rowan the villiage idiot.jpg

Most duplicants hanging out in the freezer and complaining it's cold.jpg

Archived