Idea for Negotiation Boss Battle.

As i had been grappling with ideas for modded features that i know i'll never be able to do myself because i have the knowledge of programming as much as i know how a combine harvester works, i had been thinking about a book that i loved and more specifically thought about ways it could be implemented as modded characters, cards, and as i want to say here, boss fights.

my main inspiration is the insignia series, which short answer, it's military sci-fi done right, and insignia has a scene in it that made me think of this idea. I'll use rook for the context i thought of for this negotiation, since this seems like a rook thing to happen.

So rook is in another operation, but unlike the bog job, his benefactors don't have the collective intelligence equal to the amount of raisins you'd find in an eggplant. he's been captured and/or forced to talk to one of the big-wigs of the factions, and specifically had to relinquish his guns before he could be interrogated.

rook had allegedly done some damage to said faction's assets, and said big-wig character (who i'll just call...greg...fitting name, don't you think?) is ready to punish rook for these damages, using the security guards inside the interrogation room to enforce these "punishments".

the player has 3 options to choose from in this dialogue.

A) confess to everything. this will cause the player to endure one of the three punishments at random, as well as forcing the player to switch to greg's faction.

B) stay silent. this will cause one of the three punishments to play and then the option comes up again, without option C present. continuing to stay silent will cause the next punishment to occur. further silence levies the last punishment before eventually being allowed to leave, without being a turncoat.

C) negotiation. this is where the player disputes the charges against them and involves the player negotiating against greg, who acts somewhat like glofriam in the claims against rook department.

now what did I think these "punishments" should be? 3 in particular, which show up as bounties in the negotiation

Bone Breaker; x resolve, dismiss to avoid x maximum HP loss.

Lock Up (This one has many ideas swirling around my head, but for now it'll be); x resolve, dismiss to avoid x max resolve loss

Unfortunate accident; x resolve, dismiss this to avoid flagging a future event that has higher chance to occur the closer you are to the end of the campaign and the lower your health is. it could be something like a heshian group that wants to kill rook for spreading heresy, or a group of rook's enemies, or screw it, just a weak boss enemy.

now for actual negotiation abilities. i didn't think of it just being like glofriam, who uses his intents for the bulk of his damage and has no cool negotiation abilities beyond that. he spawns in arguments and also has many strong arguments, appropriate to his difficulty rating. these ideas also aren't likely to be used all at once, just me spit-balling ideas

Bully; x resolve, attack cards have random targets. this would essentially be stinging eyes in negotiations (creative, i know)

Intimidate; x resolve, cannot gain dominance while this is active. if possible, it can occur more likely when the player uses more hostile cards or has high enough dominance.

Delegate; either his personality or an argument with x resolve. incepts the day shift card and night shift card that i believe foremans no longer give.

Fragile ego; bounty, gives x vulnerability or possibly gives +1 damage for the rest of this negotiation.

More scotch!; since the scene i'm basing this on has *ahem* "greg" be a heavy drinker, this would restore greg's resolve but gives him a drunk argument.

More scotch v.5; my first thoughts on a drinking related bounty. either it would be an empathy that gives slurred speeches, or it would restore x resolve to greg and to the player, based on the player's influence.

most of these are just ideas, and since i have somewhat INCREDIBLY INSECURE doubts about my ability to make a compelling and challenging feature ideas to this game, most areas that would have numbers are x's, dependent on difficulty and on the thoughts and feedback anyone wants to give about this. my main thoughts about this would be that it isn't a fight you die in per se, but instead that you'd walk out of it incapable of spelling in a straight line or walking your own first name. the unfortunate accident is the only one that gives an actual fight, and it would still not be fought immediately after the negotiation. it would still be bad to fail the negotiation in the way that you'd be massively handicapped for the rest of the run if you had been going on a combat only run.

again, feedback is appreciated...or you can just let this drift to sea amongst the rest of the archived posts. 

Archived