New to the game and modding. Need to make a language mod

Hello. I'd like to make a language mod for DST because the ones we've found are incomplete among other things.
However I've been having trouble finding a tutorial for DST. I read the scripts readme file in the game folder but I couldnt really follow it. I'm not so good with computer stuff but if you can help me find a good tutorial I'd be really greatful. I'm mostly making this for my host family because we all bought the game to play together recently but the translations available are a bit strange.
Thank you!

Hi! Can I ask what language you’d like to translate to? I haven’t done any language mods specifically, but I’d like to help you out and I think I have enough knowledge to make this easy and doable for you. 

Let me know and I’ll lay the groundwork for you and put together any info you’ll need to move forward with it. 

On 6/26/2020 at 12:13 AM, Redthyself said:

Hello. I'd like to make a language mod for DST because the ones we've found are incomplete among other things.
However I've been having trouble finding a tutorial for DST. I read the scripts readme file in the game folder but I couldnt really follow it. I'm not so good with computer stuff but if you can help me find a good tutorial I'd be really greatful. I'm mostly making this for my host family because we all bought the game to play together recently but the translations available are a bit strange.
Thank you!

Hey so in the image, what you're looking at is a complete language pack mod I found (Czech), just a folder with some files (left), with the first file open (right) and I've written notes for each line. Comment lines start with "--" and can actually be left in without causing problems.

I'm also putting the text for the first file below, just let me know if notes and files like this is helpful for you. The other files won't be very different at all, and I'll be able to give instructions the same way. https://i.ibb.co/mSx6TcH/23-13-18.png

Can help with everything except the actual translations. The way it works in those files is very simple, don't worry.

Edit: and you'll be happy to know at least one of the files has only 1 line inside.

-- name as it will appear in steam workshop
name = "Czech Language Pack"
-- unlikely to be critically important for you, just change as expected
id = "czechlanguagepack"
-- up to you, i'll suggest "0.1"
version = "0.1.1"
-- edit the parts in quotes with a plain descriptive sentence, also change cz to your abbreviation as neeeded 
desc = {en = "Czech translation of the game.\n\nVersion: "..version,
			cz = "\nBalíček s češtinou do hry.\n\nVerze: "..version}
-- no changes needed
description = desc[language] or desc["en"]
-- your name
author = "Kappa, KeeBLeeC & Relred"
-- no changes needed
forumthread = ""
-- no changes needed
api_version = 10
-- no changes needed
priority = 1
-- no changes needed, but MAY benefit from changing to false if you don't need the mod to work with singleplayer dont starve
dont_starve_compatible = true
-- no changes needed
dst_compatible = true
-- no changes needed
all_clients_require_mod = false
-- no changes needed
client_only_mod = true
-- change as expected, can also have no tags by changing to {}
server_filter_tags = {"czech"}
-- no changes needed for your situation, would involve more work than just these two lines if you wanted a custom icon
icon_atlas = "czechlanguage.xml"
icon = "czechlanguage.tex"

Edited by ry3bread