Deciphering Metheus and Caves Lore

I apologize if I'm starting a new topic for something that already exists, but I can't seem to find it if it does.

(Before this gets lost in the post below, has anyone deciphered the ancient alphabet??  I can't find anything aside from the characters from the puzzle.  But there is WAY more diverse writing on these images I want to know what they say)  I was recently looking over the obelisk images and the cave wall from the Metheus puzzles, and noticed somethings I hadn't before.  I started looking at the clues closer and found a kind of hidden story.  I wanted to see if anyone else noticed this, and/or has any further insights:

So this is the first image in order on the obelisk

http://forums.kleicdn.com/monthly_2017_04/1.png.f3a5267ceb5d7bf2ae394f5c9c298bd3.png

The first thing I want to draw attention to is towards the bottom, we see two ruling figures.  One of them holds a torch, the other the shadow staff.  The one holding the staff I believe is Metheus herself, as the staff is the skin you unlock with the Metheus puzzles.  We also see the portal behind them, intact, and patterned with white and black, which seems to be thematic with shadow and light magic.  Metheus is weilding the staff of shadows, and the second figure, either a sibling or perhaps her ruling companion, using a torch of light.  Right now the portal is dividing the light and dark energies equally, and up top we can see the race of bug people harvesting the land and bringing food, gems, and other supplies down as they mine into the the ground below.  Right now everything seems balanced and prosperous.

Then we go on to the second image:

http://forums.kleicdn.com/monthly_2017_04/58e8edcf0f7b8_mural2.png.494b499e3da67f8e3144f2be93d28d39.png

Now Metheus is seen holding up the staff of shadows above her sibling/ruling other, the portal no longer balanced evenly between light and shadow.  The light holder sinks below Metheus, the torch light dying out, but still with some power and having some minor effect on the portal.  At the top we can see Metheus using the shadow magic to enhance the world, from food, gems, technology, and what appears to be the creation of the Ancient Fuelweaver on the mid top right. (but what's that 3 eyed bone creature below the fuelweaver?)  But down below we see a shadow breaking from the rocks that is not directly connected to Metheus or the portal.

Then all heck breaks loose in 3:

http://forums.kleicdn.com/monthly_2017_04/58e8edd8c81cd_mural3.png.d48a6688d1e474a47f49127d42b80b21.png

Starts to get really interesting here.  Top left, the bug people resemble the design we've seen in the first two images, but are sporting skulls on their shells, indicating they're dying.  But all elsewhere their designs have changed.  The Portal at this point has gone completely corrupt with dark shadow magic, and we see the secondary ruling figure standing in the middle, combating it with the light of the torch (Note the torch now resembles the skin of the Tragic Torch, as if it were also touched by the shadow magic).  There are runes on the portal where the shadows are spilling out, which looks like this secondary figure is using the light torch magic to block the shadow magic from the portal.  We see Metheus now off to the side, looking defeated on the ground, her shadow staff emitting magic on it's own. (EDIT: I just noticed Metheus's eye is black, where previous it was white.  It seems Metheus has been taken over by the shadows at this time)

Then the final image:

http://forums.kleicdn.com/monthly_2017_04/58e8ede34a947_mural4.png.77565f1a57fb3d3c59bb50a798a9df97.png

Metheus now sits on what appears to be a throne and is weeping.  Both the shadow staff and the corrupted torch lie at the feet of Metheus.  The portal is broken, but still emitting shadow magic, which has consumed everything.  Previous images the shadows surrounded various objects and scenes, but now majority of the upper half is just shadows, with very little substance left behind.  Interestingly, this time the shadows are spikey, as if they are corrupt and wild.  Previous images of the shadow magic had some spikes on them, but not to the extent seen here (perhaps the spikes are an indication of how much will the shadow has over itself?).  At the bottom we see all the bug people are dead, and to the right an odd cracked head that resembles the secondary figure.  It appears they gave themselves up in an attempts to stop the shadows, but only half succeeded in destroying the portal.

It seems to me Metheus was corrupted from the shadows and sought more power, which ultimately destroyed the bug race.  Even more interesting is how the nightmare monsters resemble these ancient bug people, as if that is what they became in the aftermath.  But seriously if anyone has a translation of all the written characters on these obelisks I really want to know what they say!

Edited by Wakerra
  • Like 1

After this analysis the Fuelweaver's dialogue and pleading makes a ton more sense.  The portal and the shadows destroyed what was once a great civilization.  Activating it will only cause it to destroy everything again.  But the game doesn't really give us any paths to anything else, so ultimately we're just dooming ourselves in our attempts to escape.