Restrict Access for dedicated server

I set up a dedicated server on google cloud platform for my friend's group and there is a minor problem with 'restricting access'

It is password protected and I can give admin to my friend but she is not tech savvy at all and she wants to restrict anyone from playing on the server without her and she is also worried that someone might end the server by mistake.

I came up with two solutions so far

1. Let her save and shut down the server with c_shutdown(true) at the end of playing and I restart the server next day and issue a new password to her

2. Let her use console command TheNet:SetAllowIncomingConnections(true) at the end of playing and give rdp access to her and let her use TheNet:SetAllowIncomingConnections(false) on cmd screen before playing

It seems like TheNet:SetAllowIncomingConnections() command does not exclude admins and whitelists? which means admin who used that console command cannot comeback to game server but must use console command directly on server cmd screen in order to regain the access?

I am just wondering would there be any other creative ways to make this easier for my friend.

Thank you in advance :)

On 6/10/2020 at 1:36 PM, snowbox said:

worried that someone might end the server by mistake.

This can be rather easily fixed by either playing on an endless map, or by doing regular backups of your map, so in case that it happens you can just use the backup to get back into a previous state.

On 6/10/2020 at 1:36 PM, snowbox said:

restrict anyone from playing on the server

This is the trickier part. Personally I'd just give her permissions on the gcp to start and stop the server.

Maybe you'll just write two scripts, one for starting the server, and one for stropping, so it's just a few clicks?

On 6/12/2020 at 6:32 PM, Daniel86268 said:

This can be rather easily fixed by either playing on an endless map, or by doing regular backups of your map, so in case that it happens you can just use the backup to get back into a previous state.

This is the trickier part. Personally I'd just give her permissions on the gcp to start and stop the server.

Maybe you'll just write two scripts, one for starting the server, and one for stropping, so it's just a few clicks?

Thank you for your answer. Much appreciated!

It seems changing mode to endless or setting up scheduled backup on daily basis would be an ideal solution

True it is only few clicks since I already have batch files for starting and stopping and this makes much easier for me because I can leave everything to her but my friend prefers c_shutdown(true) method. 

She is reluctant to use remote desktop into server and open batch files to start and stop the dst server since she thinks she might mess it up...

I am not super tech savvy and I am sure you already know this but just saying, I often feel many things that are considered super easy and simple don't always go the same way for non tech savvy people and a large portion of them are just basically afraid to do something on computer beyond what they normally do on their pc(facebook, games, etc)

Reopening the server with new password is an easy job so... I would just do it for 5 cups of coffee/month perhaps lol

Thank you for your time and answer!

Archived