Custom CAPES as ARMOR for DST/Don't Starve Together

Hello DST/DON'T STARVE TOGETHER modders! I've been on a creative spree to make a character mod and give her unique items. These items include a cape which I also noticed has no examples on line that I could follow. So I am wondering if you guys got any pointers on how to do this.

Referring to the images attached, I intend for the cape to be as is but then it occurred to me that a problem arises when the character is faced front and the cape would just be rendered on top of the torso.
Any tips and ideas would be largely appreciated. Thanks!

cape for jeannu.jpg

problematic cape.jpg

If the cape is a item, you could use the swap_body symbols like a backpack. The backpack has symbols in front and behind for most angles. Which should allow the look of a cape to a degree. It won't work quite right for the shoulders and arms. But there really is not a lot you can do about that.

If its a permanent thing exclusive to the character design you could maybe use some of the hair symbols as those are behind the character and merge some of the mantle shoulder parts with the rest of the shoulders.

Don't starves animation system is incredibly frustrating to mod especially for items that are long and often like to trail behind like flowing capes, hair, scarves etc. So some compromised have to be made.

This is especially the case with custom items. Barring the use of child prefabs like follow symbols. One is constrained to the existing symbol options in the animation banks.

In ds hamlet the vortex cloak is what I meant by using the swap_body symbols.

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Vortex_Cloak

• Like 3

4 hours ago, IronHunter said:

If the cape is a item, you could use the swap_body symbols like a backpack. The backpack has symbols in front and behind for most angles. Which should allow the look of a cape to a degree. It won't work quite right for the shoulders and arms. But there really is not a lot you can do about that.

If its a permanent thing exclusive to the character design you could maybe use some of the hair symbols as those are behind the character and merge some of the mantle shoulder parts with the rest of the shoulders.

Don't starves animation system is incredibly frustrating to mod especially for items that are long and often like to trail behind like flowing capes, hair, scarves etc. So some compromised have to be made.

This is especially the case with custom items. Barring the use of child prefabs like follow symbols. One is constrained to the existing symbol options in the animation banks.

In ds hamlet the vortex cloak is what I meant by using the swap_body symbols.

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Vortex_Cloak

Hey thanks for the response! I will try this soon. and yeah I didn't think about the Backpack thing. Once again thanks much <3

I'd like to thank IronHunter and also a discord user by the name of Eusong (and their damn dedication) to this weird concept of simply reskinning a backpack to pass as a "Cape" / "Mantle"

Now I wish to share it so that just in case you might wanna make a badass cape for your character, you have a getting off point with this
and you wont suffer the many trial and errors both Eusong and I did.

Now there are some limitations to how far you can push the animation to display things. Limitations of DST at this point but doable nonetheless if you get creative enough...

HAPPY MODDING FELLAS

EDIT:
 I forgot to tell you (whoever you are) that after a bunch of compilation errors and Scripter not really working with us, Eusong decided that the best way was to manually edit the scml file, hence the trial and error thing. But the pivot points are now on par and you can use the reference provided as a way to "eyeball" the values of the XY pivots (just in case you will need to do a bit more calibration)

jaltermantle.zip

new jalter.jpg

Edited by chancelloNuggy
adding a reference picture to how the cape actually looks like
  • Thanks 1