I really hope this game takes off

Ever since I started playing Slay the Spire I have become enamored with card battlers. But Spire came out almost four years ago and I've been playing every knock off that's tried to capture that bottled lightning since. So it was truly a blessing when I found out Klei was taking a spin at the genre. And of course it has that Klei magic to it, the games atmosphere is great! It's fun, I've only played as Sal but I enjoy her character, the story and background are interesting. I will absolutely be advertising this to my friends, and I got around 8-9 people to buy Slay the Spire.

I'll be posting a longer feedback after ~30 hours, right now I'm about 7 hours in.

I too hope this game takes off but I'll go further and say that I greatly prefer it to Slay the Spire. StS is a fantastic game, no mistake, but it's a purely functional game that's great on a mechanical level; Griftlands takes that core gameplay and puts it into something so much grander.

I love the card battling, despite my failing to get into any card game prior to this, but I also love the roleplaying game it slots into - the choice making, the missions, the absolutely superb character dialogue and world building—it's far and away a superior game to me and an experience I keep coming back to far more often than I do StS, which honestly feels bare bones and barren in comparison.

They're not the same sort of animal but I'd compare this more to Darkest Dungeon and hope that, in time, we will know the glorious extent of its successes.

On 5/14/2020 at 1:27 AM, RiC David said:

They're not the same sort of animal but I'd compare this more to Darkest Dungeon and hope that, in time, we will know the glorious extent of its successes.

I still have yet to play Darkest Dungeon but the narration is incredible and really adds to its story telling.

Griftlands has a more engaging narrative from what I've seen, though. The writing is solid and leaves enough questions open to drive player curiosity. I tried playing a few runs in fast mode and I had to turn it off because I was afraid to miss new details on alternate paths/quest decisions I would otherwise have not seen.

Rook's story in particular changes drastically depending on who you help and in what order you do your main quests.

Archived