DST - Dedicated Server World Building and General Questions

Hey Everybody, I've got some general questions about creating your own world on a dedicated server, but I figured the most helpful thing would be to first describe exactly what I want to do:

I'm looking to create a world with 5 shards. Connections would look roughly like this:
 Shard 3 (Survival Caves)  <=>  Shard2 (Survival Forest)  <=>  Shard1 (Master/Lobby) <=> Shard4 (Endless Forest) <=> Shard5 (Endless Caves)

Shard1 would essentially be a glorified lobby. No time passes, no seasons, no items, no hunger, no resources, no monsters, etc, etc.
Shard2 and Shard3 would be your normal Survival experience. Instead of Shard2 and Shard3 pausing when no players are logged into the server, it would pause when no players are logged into the server OR no players are currently active in the Survival section of the game.
Shard4 and Shard5 would never pause.

We have a regular group of friends that play, but sometimes some of us get the craving to play on our own. The idea is that we could save our Survival experience for when everybody is logged in, but people could go exploring on their own during down time in the Endless half of the server.

So now I'll break it down into specific questions.

Shard Linking and Migration:

• I already have Shard Configuration Mod, so creating multiple custom shards and nodes isn't a concern.
  1. Is it possible to have two different game modes on one cluster?
  2. Is it possible to link two clusters with nodes?
  3. Is it possible to force log out of one cluster and force log in to a second cluster (with a mod, perhaps?)

Mods:

1. Is it possible to run two different sets of mods on the same cluster? I see that each shard has its own Mod override .lua file, just not sure if it'd break the game somehow or even work.

General

1. Can I do things like force item drop? (e.g. a player can't bring all the fun loot they've got in Endless into Survival.)
  2. Can I completely stop hunger, time, and seasonal passing in one specific shard? (For the Lobby shard.)
  3. Can I make items indestructible and immovable? (I want to decorate my lobby.)

That's all I can think of for now...
    Thanks.

13 hours ago, sroyalty1990 said:

Is it possible to have two different game modes on one cluster?

I dont think that's possible without mods, since it's configured per-cluster and not per-shard.

Is it possible to link two clusters with nodes?

Afaik that's not possible. (Probably possible with mods somehow. You might have to start coding yourself though.)

Is it possible to force log out of one cluster and force log in to a second cluster (with a mod, perhaps?)

Probably with a mod. You'll still have to migrate the userdata between the clusters, so it might be a lot of work.

Is it possible to run two different sets of mods on the same cluster? I see that each shard has its own Mod override .lua file, just not sure if it'd break the game somehow or even work.

Yes, you can freely give every shard their own mod loadout. Keep in mind, some mods might need to be installed on both systems. For example if you try carrying an item from one shard, which has a mod for that item installed to another, which doesn't have it, it'll cause issues. Otherwise if you drop the items before migrating, and/or if the mods don't affect items or anything that transitions with the player, it's perfectly fine.

Can I do things like force item drop?

I don't think there's a default game mechanic you can just configure for that. A small mod should do the trick. Just modify the game in a way that this command get's called when you transition between worlds or something:

AllPlayers[number].components.inventory:DropEverything()

14 hours ago, sroyalty1990 said:

Can I completely stop hunger, time, and seasonal passing in one specific shard? (For the Lobby shard.)

I tried doing that once, but didn't get it to work. Alternatively, for a lobby you can just put everyone on that shard into godmode, and do Autumn only, no bosses, no rain, etc.

14 hours ago, sroyalty1990 said:

Can I make items indestructible and immovable?

As with many things so far you'll probably need another mod for that.

Archived