how to save the variable value ?

zVince

Hello. I've been working on a personal mod that aims to bring the Shipwrecked generation of seas to the Reign of Giants. Trying to implement the volcano in the Reign of Giants I fall into a problem, the volcano's save is shared between sw and rog.So I'm trying to find a way to make the entry and exit dynamic. In which if I enter through RoG, I need to leave through RoG, and if I enter through Sw, I have to exit through Sw...

The first solution that came to mind is, upon entering RoG, a global variable receives one value, and upon entering Sw receives another. So when I tried to leave the volcano, this variable would be requested to inform where the exit would be.The problem is that when entering the volcano the value of this variable is lost. How to solve this? What would be a viable alternative?  

image.png.441e36e6214b63ec21b024c43fc5bd52.png

(I'm new to programming)

Screenshot_8.thumb.png.d69f070c7d641f49587ea47926eee5f8.png

I found a solution to the problem. If someone needs to resolve something similar in the future, below is the code. It works as follows::wilson_love:

When entering the rog or sw world will generate a entrace_log_ file(save_slot).lua in your mod folder. Where will store "0" for the RoG world and "1" for the Shipwrecked world. The value will be stored in the file after entering the world, replacing the previous value. If you need to redeem the value, just request to read the file in a condition and apply it to a global variable, so the variable can be used anywhere in the mod. 

Spoiler

(in modmain.lua)

AddPrefabPostInit("world", function(inst)

file_name = MODROOT.."entrace_log_"..tostring(GLOBAL.SaveGameIndex:GetCurrentSaveSlot())..".lua"
    if GLOBAL.SaveGameIndex:GetCurrentMode() == "shipwrecked" then
        file = io.open(file_name, "w")    
        file:write(1)
        file:close()
    elseif GLOBAL.SaveGameIndex:GetCurrentMode() == "survival" then
        file = io.open(file_name, "w")    
        file:write(0)    
        file:close()
    end        
    if GLOBAL.SaveGameIndex:GetCurrentMode() == "volcano" then
        file = io.open(file_name, "r")
        GLOBAL.TUNING.WORLDMODE = file:read()