“Connection Failed: Something went awry while connecting. Please try again.” Error when joining friend’s world or any open world.

My friend and I downloaded the game for the first time today. Both of us attempted to host a cooperative server with open, friends only, and private settings. The world and server would be created, and then both of us couldn’t join off of Xbox live invites or through the server browsing system the game provides. It would say “connection failed” and give the “something went awry” subtext. Thankfully since it’s a recent purchase we’ll be able to refund the game if nothing works, but we want to keep trying because the game looks fun from what we’ve seen. We tried joining public servers and none of those allow us to join either. I saw previous posts from over a year ago say that lowering the spawn limit of mobs can help, but that didn’t work for either of us. Can anyone help? 

I have pretty good internet and I don’t have connection problems on other games. That includes peer-peer connection and dedicated server connection. I run an Ethernet cable to my Xbox. 

A lot of times problems like this are directly Xbox Live related outage issues, I can play this game just fine with friends Normally... but when XBL is acting bonkers, so will all your games.

Try again today and see if the problem persists to exist, or both of you try joining someone else’s server together.

I am having the same issue. My friend just bought the game and we cant play in each other servers, but we could join in someone else server, but thats not how we want to play. 

We are trying for a few days, and nothing changes. We play other games together, so we dont believe it is an Xbox Live issue. I am wondering if it is an internet connection issue, specially for the server host. We can play other games online, and again, this problem is just on DST. We live nearby and have the same internet company, could it be the reason? Or, is there a minimum ping to host a server properly?

We need that to be solved as soon as possible, otherwise he would apply for refund. I ended up by convincing him to buy the game because I really like it, than we would be able to play together. However, we dont. So sad

On 4/24/2020 at 1:26 PM, RGMenezes said:

I am having the same issue. My friend just bought the game and we cant play in each other servers, but we could join in someone else server, but thats not how we want to play. 

We are trying for a few days, and nothing changes. We play other games together, so we dont believe it is an Xbox Live issue. I am wondering if it is an internet connection issue, specially for the server host. We can play other games online, and again, this problem is just on DST. We live nearby and have the same internet company, could it be the reason? Or, is there a minimum ping to host a server properly?

We need that to be solved as soon as possible, otherwise he would apply for refund. I ended up by convincing him to buy the game because I really like it, than we would be able to play together. However, we dont. So sad

A brand new DLC update patch just released today- Are you and your friend still unable to connect after the new She Sells Sea Shells Update?

Archived