Can't Join Friend/Friend Can't Join Me

I've been playing DST for a while and a friend of mine (in another country) just got the game. We thought we could start a new server just for the two of us, so I selected "friends only" and created a new server. When my friend tried to join my server, he would get a message (after about 20 seconds of "Connecting") that said, "Something went awry while connecting. Please try again." We then thought that there may just be something wrong with my servers, so he created a server, and the exact same thing happened when I tried to join. We then tried making a public server with a password and then a public server without a password. Eventually, we thought that the game may have something against us being friends, so we unfriended each other and restarted our Xboxes. We still couldn't connect to each other's servers. The only way to get around this was to join some random guy's server.

The entirety of Xbox Live was having problems yesterday and has been having issues off and on for the last couple of weeks.

I am almost 100% certain that your connection issues was because of that. And is not Directly related to just Don’t Starve Together.

To Clarify this- My best friend kept telling me I was appearing offline when I wasn’t, he and I kept randomly disconnecting from State of Decay 2, Apex Legends, Smite etc...

He lives in California and I live on the opposite side of the United States close to Florida. 

Archived