New to the Game a few questions please

So i got the game a couple days ago, multiple failed colonies. But I am on a pretty steady colony, cruising at around 160 cycles, have sustainable power and water and food. But, I dont really know what to do other than explore, I saw something about oil, how to you get it? I already have exosuits and have scratched the surface of salt and swamp biomes. Is there a different power supply to last forever? I have a arbor tree but that barely ever generates power. But i have alot of coal just a question.

2 hours ago, Lukwen said:

I saw something about oil, how to you get it

There should be an oil biome in the lower part of the map. If you are lucky, you may also find a Leaky Oil Fissure somewhere. 

That being said, I think that one of the most beginner-friendly renewable power source is a Natural Gas Geyser. Those spawn in swamp and caustic biomes, so just explore the map and you are likely to find one.

2 hours ago, Lukwen said:

I dont really know what to do other than explore

You may want to obtain plastic and steel, setup consistent production and get some decent stockpile of them. You may also want to look at how much heat is produced by the machinery of your base, especially by your generators, power transformers and batteries. It may not be noticeable by 160th cycle, but, as they produce heat, they gradually rise temperature of their surroundings, and that may become a problem later.

Cooling your base usually involves building aquatuners and steam turbines. It's better to use steel to build the former (because of steel's huge bonus to overheat temperature), and the latter require plastic as one of building materials.

Archived