Beaches

I'm curious, if these are islands... why no beaches? Maybe not every island would have a beach surrounding its edges or maybe just small beaches along small parts of an island edge would also be nice. They you could have extras like sea shells, clams (food), seaweed (washed ashore), and bottles (/w messages or items or empty... glass bottles could be a resource after all). You could even have beach critters like sand crabs or small snapping turtles.

Just a thought.

A great idea, it would offer many new resources to collect and enemies to defeat (long live monsters crabs). Though come to think of it, there are so many possible biomes that could be made in the game. A biome for snow, beaches, tropical, volcano and somehow I hope for a fantasy themed one with giant mushrooms and all kinds of weerdness.

A great idea, it would offer many new resources to collect and enemies to defeat (long live monsters crabs).

Not to mention you could melt sand into glass, should finding empty bottles not be enough for inventing needs. On the topic of monster crabs they could hide under the sand at night maybe (to differentiate them from swamp tentacles) and rise when you step on them.

Or maybe there could be "suspicious mounds" found on the beach and when the player selects to dig them with a shovel they can uncover various items, like a chest filled with random "pirate loot", clams, coconuts, nothing but sand... or GIANT CRABS! Run!

Though come to think of it, there are so many possible biomes that could be made in the game. A biome for snow, beaches, tropical, volcano and somehow I hope for a fantasy themed one with giant mushrooms and all kinds of weerdness.

Well I'm not sure about giant mushrooms... both Minecraft and Terraria did those. Still, mushrooms would be another food source and one that has so far gone surprisingly untapped. In fact, they should have more than one type, and randomly make one poisonous (i.e. makes you sick when consumed), but could be a key ingredients in making a poison invention. Say, "special" bait for dealing with certain monsters. Or maybe just something to avoid eating.

Edited by mobius187

Yeah I think beaches are one of the biomes with the most potential. A source of shells, washed up items (chests indeed), coconuts, parrots, crab meat. Plus finding bottles with notes in them could add a resource and potential story moment at the same time.

I agree that a mushroom area is a bit cliche, but I just want the world to be as large and diverse as possible. With many areas in a different setting and things like seasons and weather you never get be lazy in your quest to survive. Terraria started out with a few different areas and because it got new areas like the sky island and the twilight world it stayed interesting to explore.

Yeah I think beaches are one of the biomes with the most potential. A source of shells, washed up items (chests indeed), coconuts, parrots, crab meat.

I like how parrots snuck in there... but they may be too bright and tropical for a game like Don't Starve. However that does make me think about pirates... maybe the chest you could dig up might have a pirate's hat in it. It could be an item you find that cannot be invented/created, but serve no special purpose other than to look pirate-y. :)

Plus finding bottles with notes in them could add a resource and potential story moment at the same time.

Agreed. Klei could even have a small contest for forum members "In 25 words or less, write a darkly humorous or sinister note to be found in a message bottle washed ashore on the beach". Then they could choose the best 10 messages and add them into the game.

I agree that a mushroom area is a bit cliche, but I just want the world to be as large and diverse as possible. With many areas in a different setting and things like seasons and weather you never get be lazy in your quest to survive. Terraria started out with a few different areas and because it got new areas like the sky island and the twilight world it stayed interesting to explore.

True. I suppose I would agree to any new areas so long as the agreed with the "dark" survival atmosphere already in the game.

Edited by mobius187