Pause the game

So a friend of mine recently procured one of those tiny humans, a baby or whatever they're called. I don't know if you have ever seen one those, but they is like well helpless and covered in drool all the time. And whilst they don't require constant attention, they do require varying amounts of attention at random intervals. Well annoying, I know right.

I found 17 pages of posts about the lack of pause on the Steam forums, and one post on this forum from late 2014 discussing the very problem of having kids whilst at the same time not having the ability to pause a video game. In that thread SethR replied the following.

Yep, we're planning on adding the ability for all players to go AFK (basically despawning your player without leaving the server) and for the host to be able to pause the game for all players.

So how are those plans coming along? Any progress in the last 5 years? Or have you just given up on the dream?

And if you ever end up implementing the pause, you might also make it so that the game stays paused while all players are still in the character selection screen. That seems like a more sane default behaviour compared to the current one.

I don't like saying "there's a mod for that" in response to suggestions.  I feel the game should have these pause / despawn features, and agree with your post - but if you're playing on PC there is a pause mod that you can install that allows the game to be paused at any time.  I say this just to give an immediate solution to your buddy if it helps.

You got any idea how many times I die randomly because I had to get up and go take a piss...? Maybe I have always had health problems of feeling like I need to pee A lot..

But surely I’m not alone in the pain of returning to my game to find out- Hound Waves ate me, Cave Collapsed, Random freaking Meteor Crashed down on my face whilst already low on Health in my absence, Or I simply took too long peeing that by the time I got back to my Console I died in the Darkness to Charlie attacks.

Its Not fun- But luckily there’s a Rollback button for that, which as a generous thing to do I try NOT to use if other players are in the session with me, If I am alone though.. I’ll Rollback to before I Died like nothing ever happened.

Otherwise my Obituaries page would read like this:

Death while pissing.

Death while pissing.

Death while pissing.

Death while getting Pepsi & Ice.

Death while pissing.

Death while cooking & plating dinner.

And uhhh.. Death while pissing.

On 1/21/2020 at 10:50 PM, Shosuko said:

I don't like saying "there's a mod for that" in response to suggestions.  I feel the game should have these pause / despawn features, and agree with your post - but if you're playing on PC there is a pause mod that you can install that allows the game to be paused at any time.  I say this just to give an immediate solution to your buddy if it helps.

The word around the internet is that that particular mod makes the game horribly unstable. And game crashing at random is even more annoying than having to disconnect and then reconnect all the time. But worry not, a more practical immediate solution is to play some other game in the mean time. Luckily for us, today the selection of games on offer is absolutely massive.

Who knows, maybe pause will get implemented in 2025. We could start a campaign to get it done. I'm calling it "Pause 2025!" All we need is to start an advocacy group and get a lobbying effort going on. Take the developers for a fancy dinner. Maybe treat them to a weekend at the spa.

Just now, Puma9000 said:

The word around the internet is that that particular mod makes the game horribly unstable. And game crashing at random is even more annoying than having to disconnect and then reconnect all the time. But worry not, a more practical immediate solution is to play some other game in the mean time. Luckily for us, today the selection of games on offer is absolutely massive.

Who knows, maybe pause will get implemented in 2025. We could start a campaign to get it done. I'm calling it "Pause 2025!" All we need is to start an advocacy group and get a lobbying effort going on. Take the developers for a fancy dinner. Maybe treat them to a weekend at the spa.

I'm not sure what word you're listening to, but if you're only leaving for a few minutes the pause mod works fine.  I've been using it for a while now and the only time I've crashed was after a few hours pause.  Really at that point I should have just shut it down anyway.  It didn't lose the world, so I wouldn't say that was a major issue either.

Or YoU cAn JuSt Be SaRcAsTiC aNd Go PlAy AnOtHeR GaMe If U wAnT

Archived