I've been playing through ONI again and even though there are always a few new things to try and do I find it eventually (like after the 10,000 played cycle) loses it's replayability somewhat.

So I was thinking of things that could be thrown in to add to the challenge.

Maintenance of machines was one that came to mind.  Right now you just build your devices and unless something catastrophic happens they will continue to work forever (assuming you're managing heat, etc).  It would be good for them to break down with a continuing chance unless regular maintenance is done.  Has a mechanic like this been considered?

At an advanced level you could also have things like you get leaks in the pipes/vents.  They will randomly start leaking out a bit of gas, dripping water and you have to find the problem, if it's not just an obvious replacement part, by turning off the system to pressure test and and try to find the exact spot it's leaking from.  Your automation could suddenly start working slightly wrong, counting 2 seconds as 2.2, picking up and storing the wrong material for an auto-sweeper.

Obviously you would turn this off for new players but would be nice to have things like this for an advanced mode of play.

I guess you will soon find that keep your dupes busy at repairing pipes and machines is also very boring...

And you really don't want any pipes to randomly break in your sealed chambers like a steam chamber in a cooling setup... or a high pressure water tank...

Archived