Tutorial for adding new UI/Hud/Widgets?

Hey, Handsome Jack here.

I’m trying to get into Don’t Starve Together modding and so far so good having a blast! Now I was wondering if there’s any simple mods or tutorials I can use to add stuff like a simple clickable button on the player’s screen to do something or stuff like that.

I’ve seen a bunch of Chinese mods with clickable buttons and stuff, but they’re always so complicated and I can hardly understand it with my basic knowledge, hahaha!

Where do you want to have buttons exactly? I don't think you can do anything in the main menus. Only in-game, so you can add things to, e.g., the player list in multiplayer when holding Tab(?) or add your own menus which you have to build from scratch, using the same structure as Klei does. I haven't been able to find any guides or useful post on this, so I think the best you can do is study Klei's codel find the simplest mod you can find with a custom menu or button, and then try to mess around with it. Change the positions, change the anchors, change alignments, change functionality (maybe just adding print-statements so you can follow the stacktraces of calls to see what's happening. If you've already mastered textures and have experience with UI frameworks, you shouldn't  have too much of a problem understanding how it works, and as far as I've heard, it's not that complex a system. You have to understand how to work with anchors and pivots, though, in order to make your UI look the same in all resolutions. Watch out for that.

6 hours ago, Ultroman said:

Where do you want to have buttons exactly?

Well I wanted to make a small button that appears near every character on the character select screen which can be pressed to bring up a scrollable text box containing information about the character, but this would need to be on the character select screen which I don’t know if that counts as in game and I haven’t found any mods which do it so far. I guess it’s impossible then?

I cannot be 100% sure, but I'm PRETTY sure you cannot change the functionality of menus that aren't in-game, and the character selection screen is just before you enter the actual game. All you can do is change the textures for the menus, but you have to update the mod every time Klei changes their sprite atlases, which is really annoying.