Hunger-Induced Sprite Transformation?

Hi! 

Like a lot of folks postin', this is my first time modding! I'm trying to make a character that utilizes Wolfgang's hunger-phase transformation (basically, shifting appearance, strength, etc) based on their hunger level. Coding-wise, I'm pretty sure I've gotten it to work. However, I was wondering how I would go about making it so the character's sprite actually changes. 

Right now, the code reads 

inst.components.skinner:SetSkinMode("mighty_skin", "[charactername]_mighty")

(Just an example; there are a few instances that reference similar files)

However.....i'm not sure into which folder I put the "mighty_skin," or the "[charactername]_mighty," or what types of files they are, etc. I wanted to just look at the DST folder's whole deal and copy from there, but from what I understand, modded character art goes in a file named "exported" and there is no such file in the base game folder (unless I'm looking in the wrong place?) I also think there might need to be some sort of .zip folder in the anim folder or .png or .tex or .xml file  in the bigportrait or images folders to go with this all, but for the life of me I don't know. 

Sorry if this was ramble-y, or if I'm missing something very obvious! Please help. ;u;