New Character Mod

Hi! New to the forums, played from DS though and just got back into DST. So basically I've coded in the past but never in LUA. That being said I want to start with a simple character and I'm trying to decide if I should use a template (all of which I've found are outdated as hell) or just start from scratch. I know there are guides out there but all of them are three or more years old and again, outdated. I don't fully understand the organization of DST files yet, but I'm working on that one. So moving on to the character:

There are two ideas I have had, but we'll start with a simple one...

-Pirate Themed

-Grows a moustache

-Transforms on a full moon into a werewolf (this is more of a thing I added to figure out how to code transformations in DST for the next character I have planned)

-Starts with the cutlass prefab from DSS, a boat kit, and a fishing pole (I plan to edit the cutlass prefab to include a malbatross beak instead of a dead swordfish in the recipe and raise the durability to compensate)

-Gains sanity whilst on the boat, at night being on the boat negates his sanity drain

Merms are neutral to him (I thought about giving him the ability to tame them similar to webber and spiders but that seemed op)

Sidenote: A friend of mine is doing the art for me and she's giving me a small discount so if anybody knows of a guide to doing art for dst I can send her so she can get the files right I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, I have done some renaming and editing of existing mods I found just to see if it was difficult and everything else works fine, but the woodlegs I recoded is always invisible in game. I searched but couldn't find any answers. I updated the mod to reset it and plan to try again since I checked everything and it all seemed to be named correctly.

12 hours ago, bluecube said:

This template should still work fine, I've been using it without issues recently. This'll help with making the art assets as well. 

So I had a question about this template. all of the mods i use currently that I looked at for characters don't have the exported file in them, do I have to have that file in there or can I just assemble the png images into a tex image and leave it that way?

37 minutes ago, Musey said:

So I had a question about this template. all of the mods i use currently that I looked at for characters don't have the exported file in them, do I have to have that file in there or can I just assemble the png images into a tex image and leave it that way?

The exported folder contains all the parts/pngs of the character that will then be compiled when you launch the game (or manually compile). While I think you could just edit a TEX file, using the exported folder is generally more convenient as you can check your work with the .scml file in Spriter and it will autocompile for you so you don't have to convert back and forth with the TEX file.

Once your character mod is complete, the version you upload doesn't need the exported folder, as the pngs and such will all be compiled into the anim folder.

Edited by bluecube

4 minutes ago, bluecube said:

The exported folder contains all the parts/pngs of the character that will then be compiled when you launch the game (or manually compile). While I think you could just edit a TEX file, using the exported folder is generally more convenient as you can check your work with the .scml file in Spriter and it will autocompile for you so you don't have to convert back and forth with the TEX file.

Once your character mod is complete, the version you upload doesn't need the exported folder, as the pngs and such will all be compiled into the anim folder.

Thanks, so I just have to run the completed mod once to compile and then I can delete the exported folder, right? Do you see any issues with the ideas I have with the mod? The main thing I'm concerned about is the transformation since I'm stuck between using woodie's werebeaver code and chester's morph code.

11 minutes ago, Musey said:

Thanks, so I just have to run the completed mod once to compile and then I can delete the exported folder, right? Do you see any issues with the ideas I have with the mod? The main thing I'm concerned about is the transformation since I'm stuck between using woodie's werebeaver code and chester's morph code.

You'll want to keep the exported folder until the mod is complete (changes to the art of the character will be made there), as each time you launch the game to test it will compile any changes you made to the pngs within. I would keep a backup of the exported folder somewhere as well, just in case. Most of the ideas you mentioned seem pretty possible to me, however I don't really know how to do much in LUA either so I can't help too much there. Depends on how you want it to work, but it seems like basing the transformation on Woodie's would be the best idea, unless you want it to be gradual.

2 hours ago, bluecube said:

You'll want to keep the exported folder until the mod is complete (changes to the art of the character will be made there), as each time you launch the game to test it will compile any changes you made to the pngs within. I would keep a backup of the exported folder somewhere as well, just in case. Most of the ideas you mentioned seem pretty possible to me, however I don't really know how to do much in LUA either so I can't help too much there. Depends on how you want it to work, but it seems like basing the transformation on Woodie's would be the best idea, unless you want it to be gradual.

what do you mean by gradual?

10 minutes ago, bluecube said:

Like if you wanted to have the character partially transform bit by bit  til they're fully transformed, instead of an instant transformation once a condition is met.

I'm going to do an instant transformation. Also had a question. I reskinned the cutlass item I ported and it worked fine when ported, but when I reskinned it the cutlass_swap.zip lost the build.bin file and without that I cant see the item in my hand. Any idea how I can make a new build.bin file for the reskinned item?

How did you go about editing it? Did you edit the TEX file or did you edit decompiled pngs/scml? If you have an scml a new bin can be compiled easily, if you edited a TEX file and lost the build.bin you might have to grab another copy of it from wherever you based the cutlass mod on.

1 hour ago, bluecube said:

How did you go about editing it? Did you edit the TEX file or did you edit decompiled pngs/scml? If you have an scml a new bin can be compiled easily, if you edited a TEX file and lost the build.bin you might have to grab another copy of it from wherever you based the cutlass mod on.

I edited the decompiled png but there was never an scml file when I ported the item, just the anim cutlass, anim cutlass_swap, and the inventory image. When I recompiled the anim cutlass it had its own build.bin automatically but not with anim cutlass_swap

32 minutes ago, bluecube said:

What are you using to decompile/recompile?

I used textools to convert to png, edited png, used texcreator to make it .tex, replaced the file in the folders and let dst mod tools compile it when I start the game

Ah okay. Were your image files in the exported folder? When you're editing TEX files you don't need to worry about the exported folder, so don't put the cutlass images there. The exported folder is for compiling scml files. 

If you're just editing the TEX file using the TEX converter, you can simply replace the TEX file in the anim folder. If you had a folder for your cutlass in the exported folder, what probably happened is it created a zip without the proper .bin files since there was no scml. 

You'll need to grab the files (anim.bin, build.bin, and atlas-0.tex) from whatever you based the cutlass on and just replace the TEX file with your new one from the converter. Be sure to take the folder/files for the cutlass out of the exported folder if you have one in there or it'll replace your zip in the anim folder when it compiles.

18 minutes ago, bluecube said:

Ah okay. Were your image files in the exported folder? When you're editing TEX files you don't need to worry about the exported folder, so don't put the cutlass images there. The exported folder is for compiling scml files. 

If you're just editing the TEX file using the TEX converter, you can simply replace the TEX file in the anim folder. If you had a folder for your cutlass in the exported folder, what probably happened is it created a zip without the proper .bin files since there was no scml. 

You'll need to grab the files (anim.bin, build.bin, and atlas-0.tex) from whatever you based the cutlass on and just replace the TEX file with your new one from the converter. Be sure to take the folder/files for the cutlass out of the exported folder if you have one in there or it'll replace your zip in the anim folder when it compiles.

No they're in the anim folder under cutlass_swap.zip

update: grabbed the build.bin from the original files and the item appeared again! now I know only to mess with the tex file

any advice on compressing/decompressing files neatly for free? This isn't my computer I'm using

Just now, bluecube said:

Strange, I don't know why the build.bin would go missing then. As I said tho, you can simply grab it from the item you're basing the cutlass off of since you're only editing the .tex file.

fixed it by updating the original mod files I got the ported item from and grabbing the build.bin. this computer is weird about extracting from zip files. I have winzip on my computer but I don't wanna pay for it again. Any recommendations for extraction/zipping programs?