[Idea/Request] Common Gases All Follow IRL Layering, Not Just Some

Hello all, I cannot find what I'm looking for as a mod nor as an existing request, so I would like to make one in the case someone with the ability to do it thinks this is worth making.

In ONI most of the common gases behave similar to how they do IRL, but a few don't. For example, Hydrogen is lighter than Oxygen, and both are lighter than Carbon Dioxide. ONI reflects that, but then gaseous Chlorine should sink below Carbon Dioxide, yet in the game it is instead lighter.

Based on the ONI Wiki and some posts I guess the game is oddly specific and uses the molecular mass (g/mol) of the gas molecules to sort gases by weight...so by all accounts the game gases are meant to reflect their IRL "weights".

In the game's codex though the "pure" gases like Hydrogen (H2), Carbon (C2), Sulfur (S2), Chlorine (Cl2), Phosphorus (P2), etc. are all instead listed as H, C, S, Cl, and P. However, others like Carbon Dioxide (CO2), Natural Gas (CH4), and Ethanol (C2H6O) all have their correct chemical formulas.

If the game really goes by molar mass but it's using monatomic molar masses instead of the diatomic molar masses then the vanilla arrangement is the result since all those gases are half the weight compared to the "correct" ones.

So ideally it would just be multiplying the "weight" values by two for gaseous Oxygen, Polluted Oxygen, Sulfur, Phosphorus, Chlorine, and Carbon, though it may be more involved, and would result in the following changes:

Vanilla Gas Layering (Lightest to Heaviest):

Hydrogen, Oxygen/Polluted Oxygen, Natural Gas, Steam, Sour Gas, Sulfur, Chlorine, Carbon Dioxide, Ethanol

Gas Layering Based on IRL Molar Mass (Lightest to Heaviest):

Hydrogen, Natural Gas, Steam, Sour Gas, Oxygen/Polluted Oxygen, Carbon Dioxide, Ethanol, Sulfur, Chlorine

I don't know how adversely the game's balance would be affected, perhaps making it too easy or too hard or breaking some biome/critter behaviors, which is why it probably is the way it is. Still, perhaps someone more knowledgeable on the game's workings can figure out if this is a viable option. Thanks!

This doesn't really need a mod as it can be quite easily changed in the streaming assets.

This is how:

1. Find the game installation directory.
  2. Go into the OxygenNotIncluded_Data\StreamingAssets\elements\ folder.
  3. Find the file gas.yaml and open it in any text editor (Notepad, etc).
  4. Find the element you want to change. The elements mentioned above is present in the list below.
    (The value you are looking for is Element Id).
  5. Find the molarMass property of the element you want to change and change it.
  6. Restart the game and voila!

I strongly recommend that you make a backup of the gas.yaml file before you edit anything!

List of mentioned gases with their corresponding Element Id (In-Game name), formula and molar mass.

• Name - Element Id (Formula): Molar Mass
  1. Hydrogen - Hydrogen (H2): 2.01588
  2. Natural Gas - Methane (CH4): 16.04246
  3. Steam - Steam (H20): 18.01528
  4. Oxygen - Oxygen (O2): 31.9988
  5. Polluted Oxygen - ContaminatedOxygen (O2): 31.9988
  6. Sour Gas - SourGas (H2S): 34.08088
  7. Carbon Dioxide - CarbonDioxide (CO2): 44.01
  8. Ethanol - EthanolGas (C2H6O): 46.06844
  9. Sulfur - SulfurGas: (S2): 64.13
  10. Chlorine - ChlorineGas (CI2): 70.906

Most of these don't matter, since the temperature is usually around 20°C. But for chlorine I am quite sure it has a balance reason to be lighter than CO2. If you let your game unobserved for a while and some bleach stone gets into your base, you might end up killing all your dupes. The chlorine can clog up carbon skimmers/oxyferns which fills your base up with CO2 and leaves you with a lack of oxygen.

I am not sure how long this takes and it certainly depends on your base design. Given there is no filter for chlorine, I wouldn't recommend this.

Archived