Automatic dispenser bug?

This looks like a bug to me, but maybe someone else can convince me otherwise. It seems the dispenser was programmed similar to how other buildings with internal storage work i.e not dependent on priority. I think they should be based on priority for sweeper-dispenser builds because I thought they were considered storage units.

I saw somewhere that the way the logic is coded if a dupe is already delivering to a dispenser... that dispenser is treated as "busy", so other dupes will deliver anywhere else that is accepted.

So some will claim that it is not a bug but a "feature".

Still, the behavior is so silly that in my book that is a bug or more accurately a "design flaw".

5 hours ago, zOldBulldog said:

design flaw

This is an obvious design flaw imo. I do not distinguish between design flaw and bug. Similarly, I do not distinguish between game mechanic and exploit. Other people on the forums viewed the unlimited draw on the transformer as a bug, while I viewed it as a game mechanic and exploit even if it wasn't its intended design. All of these phrases are just us trying to categorize something that should not have a category. What matters to us as the players matters to the devs. As a common collective, If we feel that something does not belong, we can suggest that they remove it. The opposite is true as well. This does not mean that they will do so however.

4 hours ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

This is an obvious design flaw imo. I do not distinguish between design flaw and bug. Similarly, I do not distinguish between game mechanic and exploit. Other people on the forums viewed the unlimited draw on the transformer as a bug, while I viewed it as a game mechanic and exploit even if it wasn't its intended design. All of these phrases are just us trying to categorize something that should not have a category. What matters to us as the players matters to the devs. As a common collective, If we feel that something does not belong, we can suggest that they remove it. The opposite is true as well. This does not mean that they will do so however.

Although most people don't understand the difference and bot result from a developer messing up, bugs and design flaws have actual meanings in the software development profession.  Bugs are an unexpected error that happens during coding.   Design flaws are simply bad ideas that look great initially and got implemented without considering all of the implications... and backfire.

The term "feature" for something that doesn't work is something Microsoft invented decades ago when they messed up but did not want to admit it... and unfortunately became a very common practice.   Worse, it has been used so much over the years that many younger customers that never saw truly good products now believe that releasing software full of such "features" is normal and acceptable.  I guess that if you call a manure pile "a beautiful sculpture" often enough then people truly do start thinking of it that way.

Archived