I Need Help Brainstorming Ideas for a New Character: Wallace

No not this guy:Image result for don't starve wallace

There are two general playstyles that I think could use some representation in the DST world. These playstyles are the nomad playstyle (can pack up camp and relocate, does this frequently), and the ranged combat playstyle (self explanatory). Also whether it is intentional or not, all the new characters were born in the constant, and not from the real world. Just for added fun, I decided to make this new character follow that pattern as well.

Then it dawned on me. There IS a species from the constant that are perfect for both of these playstyles. While it might not be a great idea to merge them into one character, I think that it at least makes for a very interesting character idea.

Enter Wallace:

Spoiler

5d83f2b88ff32_DontStarveTogetherWallace.thumb.png.b73dac33d0c8a7790df23ec3426901ab.png

Wallace (derived from "walrus" and is a subtle nod to William Wallace)

Vocal Instrument: Bagpipes

Stats: To Be Determined

Nomad Playstyle:

Spoiler

When having built a crafting station, it unlocks a recipe for a portable version of that station. While able to be used by anyone, these can only be built by him and can only be dismantled by him (can be carried in the inventories of others, but not placed). Along with the stations he also can make a portable firepit (normal and endothermic) a portable tent (could resemble a miniature Walrus Camp) and a portable bee box. For the other typical camp structures, he also has a bonus when using a hammer, which gives back at least 75% of the ingredients used to craft structures (rather than at least 50% which is what they yield when destroyed by any other character)

As an added bonus, Chester means a LOT more to this guy than any other player. Not having portable chests is the biggest downside to this playstyle which makes Chester very important. For this reason, it is not wise to have multiple groups of Wallaces who aren't travelling as a herd as there is one chester.

Has great synergy with Warly and Wormwood. They supply portable crock pots and portable farms. Wallace ideally would go out and hunt for food while Warly prepares it with what Wormwood grows.

I also want there to be a downside to not obeying the laws of the nomad and basing in one place for too long, but I can't think of how to implement anything like that. If you have any ideas for this, please mention below

Ranged Combat Playstyle:

Spoiler

Wallace comes equipped with his own personal blow darts that have a unique mechanic, making them more available in early game for him. Rather than crafting the darts individually, Wallace can craft the blowpipe as well as a dart ammo belt worn over his shoulder (body item slot). The pipe adds different effects to the darts while the ammo is entirely reliant on the belt. Both have durability based on percentages.

He is not good at melee combat at all and very much prefers to stay out of the fray. Any mob with aggro on him has a negative sanity aura when up close (stacks with existing auras). On top of this, Wallace has a .5x damage modifier with melee weapons.

Ammo Belt- 5 stingers, 5 twigs, 2 rope

Blow Pipe - 2 papyrus, 2 grass (does 35 damage)

Fire Pipe - 2 papyrus, 2 grass, 1 red feather (does fire damage)

Ice Pipe - 2 papyrus, 2 grass, 1 azure feather (freeze enemies)

Nightmare Pipe - 2 papyrus, 2 grass, 2 nightmare fuel (deals 35 damage, slows target)

Obviously these ideas will not be ideal when put to practice, and even on paper they are iffy. What would you add, remove, or change about this character?

I think (just my own opinion, so take it with a grain of salt) that sometimes having unique perks while also keeping a modest amount of "simplicity" makes for a fun character all around; overly-complex ideas can be very tough to implement in a long-term way and can even become an obstacle to enjoyment in itself. I have a few suggestions if you're interested on that note:

- I would change the Blowpipe to be infinite in durability, and let the darts themselves have the extra effects instead. This keeps things simple with the main ability, allowing for attention in other areas while also not diminishing the importance of the former.

- The darts could be dirt cheap to make: (I would recommend upping the damage to 50, in order to compete with other fighting options for a normal character).

• Normal darts: 2 grass, 1 flint
  • Fire darts: 2 grass, 1 charcoal
  • Ice darts: 2 grass, 1 ice
  • Nightmare darts: 2 grass, 1 nightmare fuel
  • Explosive darts: 2 grass, 1 nitre, 1 rotten egg  (My own idea if you're interested, that does AoE damage in a small radius)

- For the downside of not staying in the same place too long, I again, have a few suggestions as to the route you could take it if interested:

1. The map could be completely unavailable altogether, making bringing your base with you more of a necessity as not to get lost.
  2. (I'm neither tech savvy nor a programming expert so bare with me) Base equipment will cease to be interacted with after an elapsed period of time when they are placed in the same biome during that time. Meaning, if you put your fire pit on say the mosaic biome Wallace will refuse to operate it in the mosaic biome after a few days. That effect would need a radius from the initial location as not to abuse setting up camp on biome borders.
  3. The map is available, but being away from your equipment for too long will have your map reveal radius shrink until completely gone unless they are returned, if the effect is prolonged further, Wallace forgets the entire layout of the map altogether.

- Sanity is a considerably uninteresting downside (most characters use it, especially modded ones) as it is so ludicrously overused, so I would recommend steering clear of it for the most part.

- I would personally remove the chester requirement as it takes advantage of one singular entity that is not always available early on, and can prove to be a downside in itself if you need to lug him around everywhere on top of keeping him alive.

- I love the little things that make a character unique in their own way. In this case, the smaller perks you have added that make the character have some interesting side-stuff.

• The bonus to deconstructing with a hammer
  • The decrease in hand-to-hand (would maybe tweak to .75x instead, to balance out the ranged need)
  • The extra insanity aura to aggro'd mobs
  • Suggestion #1: Have Mactusk hunting parties and Ice Hounds become neutral to him as well as 240 natural winter insulation (lots of blubber for their species as a result of living in arctic areas) and 40% wetness resistance (as walruses are used to being wet while swimming).
  • Suggestion #2: Sleeping in his portable Igloo works regardless of day or night, and provides the benefits of a siesta lean-to.
  • Suggestion #3: Wallace could have 30% natural damage reduction (does not stack) (is based on the fact that walrus skin is very thick, and is used to deter predators in real life).

- Considering Walrus autonomy I have a suggestion for stats as well:

• Hunger: 200 (real life walruses can eat up to 6,000 clams daily)
  • Sanity: 120 (makes the extra insanity aura more prominent)
  • Health: 100 (not adept in hand-to-hand)

All in all I love the idea for this character, not just because I love walruses (that much can be seen from my profile pic) but because I always wanted the kind of character that can be dynamic on the go just as much as if he were at his own base.

P.S. - Sorry if these suggestions seem critical, they're just my two cents so again, take them with a massive grain of salt.

5 hours ago, Owlrus98 said:

P.S. - Sorry if these suggestions seem critical, they're just my two cents so again, take them with a massive grain of salt.

I wanted the criticism and suggestions. Honestly I like everything you said, with the exception of the map related downsides, only because the map is an integral part of the game. 

Archived