Why does a client_only mod at host affects other clients?

I have some client_only mods active and we recently found out that one of them is causing all other clients to not being able to attack spiderdens, if I'm the host.
Their characters do the attack animation, but are never really hitting the spiderden.
No server mods were enabled and a newly created world.

We did not test enough to find out the exact mod (narrowed it down to 4 client mods) but my guess would be it is caused by Improved Force Attack
But I really would like to know why a client_only mod at my side, although I'm the host, can affect other clients?!
Isn't there anything made at Kleis code to prevent this?

And how to make sure within a client_only mod, that it only affects the one that has this mod active?

Edited by Serpens

• Developer
On 9/14/2019 at 4:32 PM, Serpens said:

I have some client_only mods active and we recently found out that one of them is causing all other clients to not being able to attack spiderdens, if I'm the host.
Their characters do the attack animation, but are never really hitting the spiderden.
No server mods were enabled and a newly created world.

We did not test enough to find out the exact mod (narrowed it down to 4 client mods) but my guess would be it is caused by Improved Force Attack
But I really would like to know why a client_only mod at my side, although I'm the host, can affect other clients?!
Isn't there anything made at Kleis code to prevent this?

And how to make sure within a client_only mod, that it only affects the one that has this mod active?

don't host a server without caves, servers without caves are incredibly stupid... I'm still wanting klei to remove the awful functionality that is a client hosted server.

• Like 1

On 17.9.2019 at 2:35 PM, Zarklord said:

don't host a server without caves, servers without caves are incredibly stupid... I'm still wanting klei to remove the awful functionality that is a client hosted server.

Do you think it will help to add a modsetting to the mod, like "Enable?" and set it to false by default.
I will enable the mod and set this value to true at my side. And on all other clients this value should still be false. This can prevent client_only mods to run at other clients, right?

• Developer
9 minutes ago, Serpens said:

Do you think it will help to add a modsetting to the mod, like "Enable?" and set it to false by default.
I will enable the mod and set this value to true at my side. And on all other clients this value should still be false. This can prevent client_only mods to run at other clients, right?

It doesn't run on other clients, the issue is client only mods affect the server other players connect to when they join a forest only server.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zarklord said:

It doesn't run on other clients, the issue is client only mods affect the server other players connect to when they join a forest only server.

hm ok. But in case the mod changes stuff for the player instance, we can check if "ThePlayer==inst" to solve it. If it changes stuff for other things, I dont know a check for it ...

• Developer
Just now, Serpens said:

hm ok. But in case the mod changes stuff for the player instance, we can check if "ThePlayer==inst" to solve it. If it changes stuff for other things, I dont know a check for it ...

There is no solution, any mod that does a client side animation change(just an example), breaks stuff for other players when they join a forest only server.

• Like 1