Combat Defense too weak?

Is it just me or is defense for combat more or less useless? When things are hitting you for an average of 7 or 10 or 12 per hit (and sometimes 2 or even 3 of these) then why bother spending a third of your actions blocking maybe 3 of this? I feel somewhat forced into just going ham and putting out damage faster to knock enemies out of the fight. There don't seem to be any clever combos to make playing combat defensively viable at all (unlike in Negotiation, CALM for the win).

I've completed day 4 and finally did alright in terms of combat, but I'm not even sure I managed to upgrade one of the default Feint cards, let alone take any added defense. They just seem far too weak. May be more interesting if their block was both higher, and they applied more effects. 

Thats the thing, you need to use them to make them more powerful, in day 1-2 you can use them to negate tons of damage, and by the time you progress they will have more ummph. Remember you can also use many of them on your allies to save their lives as well. Theres some great combo cards, some even give you defense and counter. In griftlands you get what you invest.

Archived