Problem with Custom Character

Hey guys, I’m new to modding and was working on a character. I did the scripting and sound and wanted to test it out, as well as the few animations of the character I have done. However, something seems to not be working, and the mod is crashing. I’d hate to ask this, but could someone go through my scripts and see if there’s an issue? I’d really appreciate it!

marian.luaspeech

marian.lua

The newcomer post has a lot of nice information for new modders, and especially the parts about the game log files and debugging are very useful. When your mod crashes, those log files will tell you what's wrong, and the debugging chapter will teach you how to dig for more information.

The character Lua file you've posted is very simple, and looks fine. I need to see your log files and your modmain.lua. It would really be best if you just zipped up the whole mod, and attached it to a reply along with your logs.

First crash is easy.

...teamapps/common/dont_starve/data/../mods/Marian the Princess/modmain.lua:26: unfinished string near '")'

You're missing a " in lines 26, 27 and 28 to complete the new paths you're setting.

Next problem is that you seem to write "MARIAN" in your code when referencing files, while the files are named "marian.xxx". File references are mostly case-sensitive, so that doesn't fly.

You also named the FEV file "speak.fev" but referenced it as "marian.fev".

And your "sound" folder was named "sounds" instead.

I've fixed all of these things, but there's something wrong with your sounds. I think you should start over with those. Look at the sound tutorial, perhaps look at another mod that uses custom sounds (like this one), and make sure to get the file names, paths and references right.

Marian the Princess.zip

Another thing: You've limited your character to only be available in vanilla DS and RoG, but not in SW or Hamlet. If this was not intentional, replace the following lines in modinfo.lua:

dont_starve_compatible = true

reign_of_giants_compatible = true

with this:

dont_starve_compatible = true
reign_of_giants_compatible = true
shipwrecked_compatible = true
hamlet_compatible = true
dst_compatible = false

You're welcome :)

If you want to know how to debug your own mods, take a look at the newcomer post. It has a lot of great information, including where the log files are and how to take advantage of them to debug your mod, e.g., using print-statements. It completely changes the game in your favor.

Archived