Error : attempt to index global 'inst'

Hello,

i want to create a mod to ass the masked pig bandit in shipwrecked (when towns are presents).

It's my first mod :/

Error in client log file :

...common/dont_starve/data/../mods/anchocho/modmain.lua:79: attempt to index global 'inst' (a nil value)
LUA ERROR stack traceback:
        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/../mods/anchocho/modmain.lua(79,1) in main chunk
        =[C] in function 'xpcall'
        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/util.lua(552,1) in function 'RunInEnvironment'
        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mods.lua(217,1) in function 'InitializeModMain'
        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mods.lua(198,1) in function 'LoadMods'
        scripts/main.lua(273,1) in function 'ModSafeStartup'
        scripts/main.lua(320,1)
        =[C] in function 'SetPersistentString'
        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mainfunctions.lua(26,1) in function 'SavePersistentString'
        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/modindex.lua(68,1)
        =[C] in function 'GetPersistentString'
        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/modindex.lua(55,1) in function 'BeginStartupSequence'
        scripts/main.lua(319,1) in function 'callback'
        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/modindex.lua(338,1)
        =[C] in function 'GetPersistentString'
        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/modindex.lua(318,1) in function 'Load'
        scripts/main.lua(318,1) in main chunk

[00:00:38]: scripts/mods.lua(206,1) Mod: workshop-712470670 ( [DS]Aerial view)	Loading modworldgenmain.lua	
[00:00:38]: scripts/mods.lua(214,1) Mod: workshop-712470670 ( [DS]Aerial view)	  Mod had no modworldgenmain.lua. Skipping.	
[00:00:38]: scripts/mods.lua(206,1) Mod: workshop-712470670 ( [DS]Aerial view)	Loading modmain.lua	

i suppose it's this line who create the error in modmain.lua :

inst:AddComponent("banditmanager")

( my mod is attached.)

thanks

anchocho.zip

You can't just call a function on something that doesn't exist. inst is nowhere in your code here, except in your commented lines above it where you tried to spawn the world for some reason.

Try this:

GLOBAL.GetWorld():AddComponent("banditmanager")

That should work. I haven't looked at the actual banditmanager script, though.

Thanks Ultroman for your help.

I have used

GLOBAL.GetWorld():AddComponent("banditmanager")

--> and the log file say :

...common/dont_starve/data/../mods/anchocho/modmain.lua:103: attempt to index a nil value
        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/../mods/anchocho/modmain.lua(103,1) in main chunk
        =[C] in function 'xpcall'

And when i use :

local inst = GLOBAL.GetWorld()
AddComponentPostInit("world", function(inst)
end)

--> the game crash only if i use the command line : c_spawn("pigbandit")

Log :

[00:01:24]: .../data/../mods/anchocho/scripts/prefabs/pigbandit.lua:216: attempt to index field 'banditmanager' (a nil value)
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/../mods/anchocho/scripts/prefabs/pigbandit.lua:216 in (field) fn (Lua) <214-218>

Have you an idea ?

anchocho.zip

World isn't a component, it's a prefab. AddComponentPostInit is for altering components. Try AddPrefabPostInit instead. And you don't need the preceding line:

local inst = GLOBAL.GetWorld()

I don't understand why GLOBAL.GetWorld() is nil in your modmain, though.

Thanks a lot for your help :)

i have used AddPrefabPostInit like this :

AddPrefabPostInit("world", function(inst)
end)

But i obtain the same message when the game crash :

[00:01:27]: .../data/../mods/anchocho/scripts/prefabs/pigbandit.lua:216: attempt to index field 'banditmanager' (a nil value)
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/../mods/anchocho/scripts/prefabs/pigbandit.lua:216 in (field) fn (Lua) <214-218>

I hope Klei will add the masked pig in shipwrecked and RoG in the futur...

Well, now I spent a stupid amount of time looking at this, in order to successfully procrastinate from the much more important and pertinent things I have to do, and I have to say that it would (probably?) be a mountain of work to get the bandit into Shipwrecked. After adding the bandit hat properly and actually getting the bandit to spawn in the game, it crashed because it requires changes to the locomotor component, and probably has a bunch of other functionality from Hamlet that it needs in order to...live. So I dropped it.

Porting mods is probably a bit too tall an order for your first mod.

Hello Ultroman,

Sorry for the "stupid amount of time"... I did not know it was a big work for this little bandit. And probably it's better for me to abandon the bandit for my first mod, yes.

Thanks thanks a lot for all your help :)

Archived