Approximate Radiation?

Hey all,

After many hours struggling and playing, I finally breached the surface with a successful installation of radar, observatory, and solar panel.  Everything protected by steel bunker doors.  After the first meteor shower, the bunker doors opened, dumped all the regolith on my stuff, and it all promptly overheated and broke.

Fine. I'll need to cool it somehow... but cooling in a vacuum is obnoxious at best.  Less so if materials actually radiated their heat into space.  Its the reason the moon isn't a molten ball of lava, so it only makes sense that the ONI asteroid would radiate.

My original idea for this mod was to add a global heat loss/emissivity floor to all materials.  But because calculating actual radiative heating of surrounding tiles sounds complicated, I thought I would apply this to only surface or space exposed blocks.  At that point we'd just count the "radiated" heat as lost to space, and get around the technical problems of adding radiation to the whole game.

So I started poking around in the special.yaml file to see what could be done to approximate radiation at the surface by messing with the vacuum and void settings.  Problem is... nothing I do so far has worked, and I largely believe this is because I don't know what all the parameters govern.

Here are the parameters.  Defaults of everything is zero.

elements:
  - elementId: Vacuum
    specificHeatCapacity: 0
    thermalConductivity: 0.0146
    solidSurfaceAreaMultiplier: 1
    liquidSurfaceAreaMultiplier: 1
    gasSurfaceAreaMultiplier: 1
    strength: 0
    highTemp: 0
    highTempTransitionTarget: Vacuum
    defaultTemperature: -270
    defaultMass: 0
    maxMass: 0
    hardnessTier: 0
    hardness: 0
    molarMass: 0
    lightAbsorptionFactor: 0
    materialCategory: Special
    buildMenuSort: 1
    isDisabled: false
    state: Vacuum
    localizationID: STRINGS.ELEMENTS.VACUUM.NAME

- elementId: Void
    specificHeatCapacity: 0
    thermalConductivity: 0.0146
    solidSurfaceAreaMultiplier: 1
    liquidSurfaceAreaMultiplier: 1
    gasSurfaceAreaMultiplier: 1
    strength: 0
    highTemp: 0
    highTempTransitionTarget: Void
    defaultTemperature: -270
    defaultMass: 0
    maxMass: 0
    hardnessTier: 0
    hardness: 0
    molarMass: 0
    lightAbsorptionFactor: 0
    materialCategory: Special
    buildMenuSort: 1
    isDisabled: false
    state: Vacuum
    localizationID: STRINGS.ELEMENTS.VOID.NAME

I've changed the thermal conductivity to match CO2 (as a starting point, because it sucks for heat transfer, and I don't want to make it too easy for me).  I changed the multipliers to 1 since anything times zero is zero.  I left specific heat at zero, because I don't want to actually have heat accumulate in the vacuum, just deleted. I also set default temperature of void and vacuum to 3 degrees above absolute zero, since this is the temperature of the background radiation of the universe.

But when I save the yaml and load my game, nothing on the surface changes temps.  This is either because I don't know what the parameters do, or I don't know how to properly get the modded values into the game, or both.

I can guess what most parameters do, but I do not know what "strength" does.  I also don't know how the other parameters affect heat transfer, since there is technically no "mass" for either vacuum or void.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for even getting things moving?  Or am I completely barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks in advance.

Actually there is an easy way to simulate heat loss to space i have something that with a little modification can to that, only i want to wait with modding till the 1.0 i think much new stuff will come and maybe even things like heat loss in space.

For the issue with the falling regolith there is a mod that can make sweeper go through tiles and have long range so if you use that you could make sure all rego is picked up before the doors are opened.

Archived