Trying to make a Panic perk for a character

I am very new to modding and am trying to get the hang of it, I am having trouble figuring out how a perk for a character that gains a speed boost when near an negative sanity aura effect, how would I code it?

Edited by Sanguine_Cree

That's gonna be difficult, because many people have implemented sanity auras in different ways. If you're just talking about the vanilla stuff, like spiders which have a negative sanity aura, you're going to have to do something special.

In your character's masterpostinit, put this in:

-- DoPeriodicTask calls the given function every X seconds.
-- I set it to 1.0. You can set it to e.g. 0.5 seconds if you want.
inst:DoPeriodicTask(1.0, function(inst)
	-- Do nothing if the player is dead.
	if inst.components.health:IsDead() or inst:HasTag("playerghost") then
		return
	end

-- Store the position of the player in x, y, z variables.
	local x,y,z = inst.Transform:GetWorldPosition()

-- Description of important function, which finds specific entities within a range:
	-- TheSim:FindEntities(x, y, z, radius, mustHaveTags, cantHaveTags, mustHaveOneOfTheseTags)

-- We have limited it to any entity that is not ghosts, visuals or things in limbo.
	-- I have set the radius to be the one used for standard negative auras. You can set it to whatever radius you want.
	local ents = TheSim:FindEntities(x, y, z, TUNING.SANITY_EFFECT_RANGE, nil, {"playerghost", "INLIMBO", "FX", "NOCLICK", "DECOR"}, nil)

for i, v in ipairs(ents) do 
		if v ~= inst and v.components.sanityaura ~= nil and v.components.sanityaura:GetAura(inst) < 0 then
			-- One of the entities has a sanityaura component on with a negative sanity aura value,
			-- so we apply the modifier and return immediately.
			inst.components.locomotor:SetExternalSpeedMultiplier(inst, "negativeauraspeedmod", 1.25)
			return
		end
	end

-- No negative auras were found, so we remove the speed modifier.
	inst.components.locomotor:RemoveExternalSpeedMultiplier(inst, "negativeauraspeedmod")
end)

Edited by Ultroman