Day one Winter Patch Feedback!

The game map is now HUGE...probably too big. I got unlucky and couldn't find a pig king even exploring for the first 15 days which made getting my alchemy machine done in time very hard. I miss the intuitive system of roads from the last patch and being able to find the king via roads.That left me hustling to store up enough food to last the winter. Barely made it. Fought with deerclops. He shreds armor. Didn't die, but had to run away a little to get another armor on and eat. He disappeared before I could get back. Its an awesome enemy, but it was lame that he vanished before one of us was dead.Day 20 is probably too early for Winter IMO. Also, right now Winter just overwhelms the rest of the gameplay. Regular game 1-30 and then Winter 30-40 and then repeat that cycle would be ideal in my mind. Another possibility is to make Winter happen more frequently as the game goes on giving advanced players more late game difficulty.Mosquitos are annoying common, and they have no purpose. They really need to drop SOMETHING or be meaningful in some other way.I got kinda lucky with the winter vest. Like I said, I was getting my Winter stuff done later than I wanted. I went out on day 19 looking for tracks to make breezy vest. I think it was either day 20 or 21 when I finally got a koalefant, and it was a winter one which gave me a winter vest which I didn't even know existed.Winter nights are also annoyingly long. Its boring. I can understand it from a difficulty perspective, but mostly it just makes me wanna alt-tab out and wait for it to be over.I'm not sure how I feel about the new summer nights. I like that nights are shorter and that I don't always feel like I have to use sleeping bags to bypass them. The problem is dusk. I don't have a problem with them being 2x as long as night from a gameplay perspective, but from a logical stand-point its incredibly strange feeling.

One last thing. I understand that crock pot recipes need to be adjusted for balance reasons, but it would be REALLY nice if the patch notes gave specific recipe changes. Discovering recipes was fun the first time. Every 2 weeks becomes aggravating.

There's one layout that seems to have every island unconnected from each other and the only access points are the wormholes; haven't found berries within that layout either. Winter hit me in the face a day 11 when I finally found the beefalos which just happened to started mating, hounds showed up at almost the end of the first winterday of daytime and well, day 11 = full moon, with pigs and a coupla spider dens nearby. Every island had their own main interests, I was completely thrown out of any usual "Pfeh, I got this. Easy!" comfort. I loved every single painful minute. :) It felt more like I really was trying to survive instead of turning a whole area into the perfect base paradise. Gave me reasons to try to hop into the 2nd world, but I died a bit before that ^_^ I'm loving this patch, could use a few more tweaks but just too awesome to me to complain :DI tried to play like a nomad as much as possible during a winter season today, it was actually doable! I did have a breezy vest and winter hat the whole time, when I found a winter koalefant it was on the last day of winter, so at least the next one might give me even more time before my character has to stop and warm up. I only went back to my pseudo-base once (a firecamp, three empty chests, one crockpot and one fridge) just to a bit of food quality from my gatherings and drop stacks that got filled up: extra logs, pinecones, flint and rocks. Didn't come across the walruses but the deerclops showed up; irony was since I was testing the waters of staying outside of the base as much as possible, I ended up not being worried at all, just kept to my business and when season was over, my disposable base was actually intact.

Edited by K-Dawg

Winter nights are also annoyingly long. Its boring. I can understand it from a difficulty perspective, but mostly it just makes me wanna alt-tab out and wait for it to be over.

My thoughts exactly. Preparing for winter is fun and makes the "easy" summer days challenging, since you know you can't just survive, you have to survive, build, and hoard for the coming difficult season. But once winter hits, you're either prepared or not. I was prepared, and spent 1/4 of each day cycle chopping wood and boomeranging birds/rabbits and the remaining 3/4 surfing the internet with the game on in the background so I could listen for hounds or eyeclops. that's a pretty dull way to play a video game...