Cultural appropriation and the slow genocide of Hawaiian culture glorified, aka Wailani

In light of recent decisions I feel I must point out that youtube and Netflix both have numerous documentaries that detail how Hawaiian culture is being slowly eradicated as a direct result of prior American imperialism, and that the persona exemplified by Wailani as a "surfer chick" is a direct and literal example of a caricature that only exists due to this prior imperialism and culture genocide.  This is extremely "problematic" in that it is culturally no more sensitive than having a "Native American" character personified as a drunk.

Please go spend a bit on youtube or netflix watching one of the great documentaries, such as "The United States of Hypocrisy - The Stolen Nation of Hawaii" and understand that by current standards this makes the character Wailani extremely offensive to many.  Additionally, since KLEI is ostensibly based out of Canada, there is an excellent show on Netflix called "Frontier" that details the exact same situation happening at the hands of earlier Britsh and those that are likely the direct ancestors of some of their employees.

My intent is only to inform, please don't shoot the messenger like many of your home nations and ancestors shot the natives of many lands they "discovered".

Archived