A robot and a child wake up stranded on an island ...

Recently, a good friend of mine picked up DST, and we've been playing together pretty regularly on worlds I host (+the occasional addition of our respective partners on occasion). It's been a ... learning experience, and I can image I'll be updating this as we continue to learn the ropes - with me, at times. I haven't played since shortly before Shipwrecked became playable, and it's been ... an experience. An experienced best described as 'WX refuses to stop fighting bosses poorly while Wendy struggles to survive.' 

1) Our first winter together was when I was just hopping back to the game, and badly out of practice. We based next to a killer bee biome, within walking distance of a swamp, and it was a solid days' walk south to reach beefalo and our pig village. Not ideal. Wendy was down by the beefalo, trying and failing to get fur so we could survive the winter. I was up another day's north doing ... something. It was the first few days of winter, and we'd just got past a hound attack, so we weren't really on edge. A mistake. I'm hearing impaired, and tend to categorize some things as 'background noise' when they aren't. For example ... the deerclops' breathing. I was just happily chopping wood when everything got very bad very quickly. It spawned and I was stuck with a single winter hat and tentacle spike, slowly but surely trying to kite it with no fire materials, no food, no armor, and about 8 spider nests all around me. Sweet, sweet Wendy decided to try to make the trek up to help me, and ... it was definitely their first winter. While I was madly trying to take down my cyclopean nightmare, every three or four minutes I'd see [Wendy has died of freezing]. Repeatedly. I refused to leave the deerclops, determined to take it down while I was there, while sweet Wendy tried and failed to reach me through a maze of spiders and killer bees. They finally reached me, five days later - a few seconds after I finally took 'clops down. 

2) The marble pieces for the structures you have to repair? I'm still not sure what they're eventually used for, but ... we found one, and I had never seen it before. Wendy got curious and picked it up. And couldn't figure out how to put it down. I panicked around them in circles, trying in vain to feed them myself and keep everything bright enough, until halfway through the next day they figured it out.

3) Also during our first winter, we had some pengulls spawn near our camp. Wendy wanted to take them on, but while my brain didn't remember the pure murder these flightless birds can rain down upon the unlucky, my heart did, and we avoided them. Which worked out in our favor, in the end - various pengull nests that winter (post-Deerclops) took out a spider queen, and approximately 20 clockworks from a modded trap set piece that would have otherwise flattened us. Useful, but I feel like if I see a penguin in real life now it'll instantly activate my fight or flight response.

Caves have been rough so far since we both have computers that struggle with them, but we've been debating joining a server that has them enabled. A part of me dreads our inevitable demises at whatever horrors of the deep I've forgotten about/have come into being since my last foray into the depths. I've seen mutterings about an 'ancient fuelweaver', as well as stumbled across multiple 'moonrock' statues of questionable origin. I get the feeling we're just getting started with a lot of this.

Archived