Can you give non-remastered version of game to everyone who buy remastered version?

Miteusz

Dear developers,

As far as I know, it is now impossible to acquire non-remastered version of Mark of the Ninja game on Steam. I checked on www.steamdb.info that there is no purchasable package containing non-remastered version of game: https://steamdb.info/app/214560/subs/

Removing an option to acquire non-remastered version of game while releasing remastered version of game seems to be unfair to me. I think it would be better to, for example, allowing to play non-remastered version of game to everyone who buy remastered version of game. I think it wouldn't harm your interests in any way, but it would be beneficial to some players. I want to present you in this post why someone may want to play non-remastered version of game when there is remastered version available.

At the beginning, note that I own non-remastered version of Mark of the Ninja already, but I want to discourage you to do similiar things in case of remastering some of your other games, which I will probably buy on some good sale in the future. I have found that practice of removing non-remastered versions of the game is popular in game industry, which doesn't seems to be fair to customers in my opinion. Please, take my arguments into consideration when remastering your other games.

My main concern with removing non-remastered versions from store when releasing remastered versions is that remastered version usually have higher minimal system requirements than non-remastered versions. As I play games on ten years old computer, my computer doesn't fulfil system requirements for most remastered versions of games that I saw, in opposite to non-remastered versions (for example, Dark Souls is such a game in my case). In such case, gamer is practically unable to play any version of game he wants on his old computer, although non-remastered version of game would work, but is not available to purchase anymore. Someone can say that you can find someone with unused key for game, but prices of such unused keys will be high for sure and it is rather inconvenient solution.

Another problem with removing non-remastered version of game that I have in some games is fact that sometimes it is not possible to play online with someone who owns non-remastered version of game while having remastered version of game. For example, my friend has non-remastered version of Dead Island, so if we would like to play together, he would have to buy remastered version of this game first.

These were my main concerns about removing non-remastered versions of game from store when releasing remastered versions. Here you can find arguments of some other people why they want to be able to play non-remastered version of Mark of the Ninja that I have found:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/214560/discussions/0/1733214357975203623/

To sum up, I think it would be better if there would be an option to acquire non-remastered version of game even thought there is remastered version available. I think that adding non-remastered version of game to library of everyone who buy remastered version (like, for example, Bioshock did) is best solution and doesn't harm you in any way. There is also an option to sell non-remastered and remastered versions of game separately, but there is good chance that non-remastered version of game never will be on some good sale (like, for example, in case of Skyrim).

Some related common practice while releasing remastered version of game is that publisher usually rises price of game and don't make such good sales like he did when there was no remastered version of game. I think that it also little unfair, but it is up to publisher to dictate price of game - if price is too high for someone, he doesn't have to buy it. Personally, I don't spend more than five euros on game in most cases, so in case of remastering game that I want to buy I will probably wait until there is some good sale again. I understand that in such cases selling non-remastered version of game can be unprofitable, but giving non-remastered version of game to everyone who buy remastered version doesn't seem to harm publisher's interests in any way. You can also read some opinions about that here:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/214560/discussions/0/1742226629861490691/

I am looking forward to your answer. I would like to know what do you think about reasons to play non-remastered version of game that I have presented. Maybe there is some reason to not allow to buy non-remastered version of game when there is remastered version that I don't know?

Archived