Arthur's ONI diary

Thank you to Klei entertainment staff

First, thanks to the whole team for delivering such a nice game, with so many different layers, skills, possible gameplays. The coding methods that makes the game available to play since more than a year now is totally amazing too, i think a lesson for a lot of gaming and IT companies ...

Now, i must precise i'm casual player, even if playing a lot, and i'm using  tweaks  at the minimum in order to make the game playable at my level, including sandbox mode and no stress switches. My goal is having fun on several aspects on the game (chemical / pressure temp reactions / automations) but survive isn't my goal since i can't manage efficiently enough each part of the game individually.

When a little screen speaks better than a speech (Yes i'm french)

5c0d25f308ad8_Startingtweaks.png.d8d3442f99430bec33ff1a71a656a2ee.png

The map I'm training on (Donald trump would appreciate it himself)

Now a little gift, i recently found a totally amazing seed (the main problem is maybe there are too many geysers), i will try to make a more complete map description in a later post.

Seed ID : 1897872924

Until now i discovered on it:

• Close to the base
    • east
      • two cold steam geyser
      • one carbon dyoxid geyser
    • south
      • one cold steam geyser
    • north east
      • natural gaz geyser
  • More far
    • north west
      • one petroleum geyser
    • west
      • another petroleum geyser
    • south east
      • another petroleum

(and i did probably not discover all at the momen)

Diary day one

This is the reason why i had the motivation to begin this topic, first time i'm trying some automated switches, achieving to run a steam generator a simple way (probably not optimized of course), and here are my feelings:

• it required some concentration but was satisfaying to achieve
  • it wasn't that hard
  • It rings like the very beginning of a new game approach

Where i'm using tricks

• using bunker ground and door to enclose steam
  • adding insulated capsule
  • no door
  • Building with thermium or insolated manufactered
  • adding some magma into a closed bunker zone will infuse heat and help to make steam hot enough

(it's not a very big deal since i can make the required refined minerals and wait steam sleeps before building / analyzing it)

Some advices

• does not require big rooms
  • better if top room tinyest than bottom one
  • use thermium for everything but insulated ground (insulated manufactured)
  • don't wait too long, when pressure above 5.5kg.m3 the heat wasn't growing (i guess related to pressure / quantities in the room and room size)

Automated stuff

• One AND swich
  • One FILTER switch
  • Two pressure probes
  • one temperature probe
    • Pluged on
      • Two bunker gates
      • That steam generator
      • Pressure probes
      • gaz pump

Tweaks

• gaz pump stops working once pressure is below 500g.m3
  • doors are opening and steam generator runs once pressure below higher than 4kg.m3 and temperature higher than 40C° (maybe K to C° conversion issues with my translation here)
  • pressure below 5.5kg.m3

cycle

• Opening
  • Standard layer

5c0d309951bfd_steamgeneratoropening.thumb.png.bc9c580a8bd952bfba66fed14c3ceeb6.png

• automation layer

5c0d308b9ea95_steamgeneratoropeningautomatedcables.thumb.png.4447ab54326d3c75b9efe9197b9bdb07.png

(we can see the top pump still pumping cause pressure's still higher than 500g.m3 here)

• low pressure top here, pump stops pumping

5c0d309f39d82_steamgeneratorpressurelowenoughstoppingpump.thumb.png.f511bfaad07606a0442c1ded8af2df9b.png

• electric layer

5c0d309148426_steamgeneratoropeningelectriccables.thumb.png.4d21baab157838b1bdf78b28101c7aa2.png

• Working

5c0d30a76da8e_steamgeneratorworkingheatscreen.thumb.png.487513bf50e8a7842d17ea7d075b92ea.png

• Closing
  • Closing doors (pressure or temp doesn't reach values we want)

5c0d3085f1a2b_steamgeneratorclosingdoors(circuitoff).thumb.png.5acec77a7812e71309c4fd08d5da02e7.png

It works

I was so happy! Hope that's a very beginning, of course it can be improved. maybe another simple version would be to use a WHILE and AND switch to make something more precise on those "magma heat oriented versions", but for more autonomous versions i guess we have to imagine a door cycle with some delay between them) in order to "strech steam" into a bigger space then reach enough low pressure to open the doors again, maybe it can work at lower and safest temperatures too. It still remains the hardest i was able to achieve in the game

Thanks (for all the fish) again KLEI

The after

• Feel free to add any constructive comment, criticism, or recommandations
  • I'm thinking about doing some more topics, if some of you are interested, please tell me what you would prefer between:
    • What we can actually do with CO2
    • How to make liquid hydrogen and why
    • Can we make back water from hydrogen and oxygen in the game is it usefull ?
    • Puppets (bigger subject than it looks)
    • the scenario, did you realize there is one ?
    • is hydraulic fracturaction ethic in ONI ?
    • and the eternal : patches, ideas, balance & remarks

Thanks for posting this Arthur. I am new to this amazing game and still familiarizing myself with it. I'm struggling with excess amount of CO2 building to the base. So far, I've just expanded the base downwards to make CO2 to go down. Any recommendations what to do with the Carbon dioxide? I am in a cycle 40 or so. 

There's two common ways of dealing with it Archonia. You can dig all the way down to the oil biome and let the slicksters eat it and produce more oil. Or you can let the carbon skimmer remove it. If you're new and you don't feel like 'rushing' all the way down I would suggest the skimmer. You can pair it with a sieve and basically set it and forget it with the water loop

17 hours ago, badmagick said:

There's two common ways of dealing with it Archonia. You can dig all the way down to the oil biome and let the slicksters eat it and produce more oil. Or you can let the carbon skimmer remove it. If you're new and you don't feel like 'rushing' all the way down I would suggest the skimmer. You can pair it with a sieve and basically set it and forget it with the water loop

Thanks for the advice badmagick. I will try the carbon skimmer. This game has so much to offer that I am waiting for the new challenges already. 

On 11.12.2018 at 4:44 AM, badmagick said:

There's two common ways of dealing with it

Algae terrariums are also an option earlier in the game.

It is good to keep a bit of CO2 in the bottom of the base as foo doesn`t spoil when put in CO2 atmosphere and in case you decide to farm dusk caps.

Yes for now the possibilities i know are:

- carbon skimmer

- algae terrariums but like sasza22 says it's only at the beginning otherwise it wastes algae

- just make a hole down and and those pets will produce respectively on the left refined pretroleum and the other one raw one (then care how heats grows ..)

gluants.png.1e308dea1bfd7ebb4405f89b4a9eb3dc.png

- i saw map where there is a hole, maybe a part could be trashed i don't thing everything, we still need carbon and o2 :)

- i did remark last week that you can store co2 as a gaz with a simple pump and filter with 20kg.m3 pressure, so maybe it's a way to minimize carbon skimmer energy wasting and take the time to manage the co2 problem (use automation, a sensor and start the skimmer only up to like 18Kg.m3)

- i think at higher lvl we have to think about using it as a liquid :

- might have nice cooling abilities

- decreases volume a lot

Archived