Trouble with command line

Hey guys, I was able to successfully create a remote dedicated server using the Linux guide, but now I can't figure out how to change the name, create a password, or enable mods. I'm using SteamCMD, and I tried looking things up in this guide:

But I didn't have any luck. For example, I tried the command "cluster_password = passwordhere" as suggested by someone in that thread, but it didn't work. Any help would be seriously appreciated. Sorry for such a noob question.

35 minutes ago, DoctorDungus said:

"cluster_password = passwordhere"

This is not a command. It belongs into the cluster.ini in your save cluster folder, and it does indeed specify which password is used, as described in the server settings guide.

For a complete easy setup guide you can check out this step by step quick start guide.

Once the server itself is up, running and configured as you like it, you can follow my guide on installing and configuring mods.

7 minutes ago, DoctorDungus said:

I'm not sure how to edit my cluster.ini through the console.

Since it's a Linux System, it's rather easy. Just use either vi or nano (One of them is almost always installed. Essentially the notepads of Linux command lines.)

You open the file with the Syntax "vi <path/to/>cluster.ini" or "nano <path/to/>cluster.ini" (replace <path/to/ > with the actual path to your cluster folder). The path you chose is inside your startup script that you created at some point.

For vi you press "i" to enter the edit mode, and navigate around using the arrow keys and type in as you would do on a normal keyboard. Once you are done editing, press "esc" and then type in ":wq" to save and exit the file.

For nano you just start editing, and once you are done press "ctrl+o" to save the file (when it prompts if you really wanna save, just press y), and "ctrl+x" to exit.

Both editors work equally well, it's just personal preference which one you want to use, or what you have installed.

It worked! HNGGGGGGGGGG!!!!

One more thing if I can trouble you for it. I'm pretty sure I can follow your guide from here, but I'm trying to create the dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua file as such:

mkdir -p ~/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/MyDediServer/mods

base64 -di > ~/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/MyDediServer/mods/dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua

And I think I created the mods directory correctly, but I get the error "No such file or directory" when I try to add the lua file. I copied the commands exactly from the guide I followed, just changing the directory, so I'm not sure what's wrong.

https://pastebin.com/XqNnqYLJ

Archived