The Day/Night Sensor Switch

Day/Night Sensor Switches or DNSS for short... What are they and why should they be added?

A DNSS is a useful tool much like the power switch, atmo switch, thermo switch and hydro switch but instead of being toggled manually, by pressure, heat or liquid. The DNSS is toggled by the time of a cycle. So why should it be added? Well... Say you have a dangerous mechanism in your shelter that you want shut off while your colony sleeps. All you would need is to hook up a DNSS and set it to disable any further power cables passing through it during the night. Now, this is not the only use for a DNSS, it can be used for many different reasons. Want to lock down all outside access to your shelter during the night? No problem! Want to trap your colony inside their rooms during the day? No problem! Want to turn off all oxygen supplies at night? No problem! The DNSS has got you covered!

Feel free to throw in some sketches and ideas! I am interested to see what people think of this one! :D

Besides dupes going to bed, the only thing that changes with day/night I know about are Hatches. But these are easier manipulated while they're burrowed and I think the game needs something more than a day/night switch to support reasonable interaction with creatures.

There's nothing to be afraid of during night and creatures don't pass through closed doors even if they're not locked. And switching your oxygen supplies off during night is terrible idea, your dupes continue to breathe during sleep.

Also, if you need something to be taken care of during night, you can either use the red alert button to wake your dupes and get them working, or you can disable beds of some dupes, preventing them sleep completely. They will become more stressed but that can be handled.

The only practical use for day/night switch I can see is switching some lights on during night. That might actually look great. I'm not sure now if light reduces stress but if it does, it would even have some practical impact if you shine it on the beds. 

4 hours ago, Kasuha said:

Besides dupes going to bed, the only thing that changes with day/night I know about are Hatches. But these are easier manipulated while they're burrowed and I think the game needs something more than a day/night switch to support reasonable interaction with creatures.

There's nothing to be afraid of during night and creatures don't pass through closed doors even if they're not locked. And switching your oxygen supplies off during night is terrible idea, your dupes continue to breathe during sleep.

Also, if you need something to be taken care of during night, you can either use the red alert button to wake your dupes and get them working, or you can disable beds of some dupes, preventing them sleep completely. They will become more stressed but that can be handled.

The only practical use for day/night switch I can see is switching some lights on during night. That might actually look great. I'm not sure now if light reduces stress but if it does, it would even have some practical impact if you shine it on the beds. 

I totally understand and agree that it would be pointless to have in the game's current state, but I was just posting it now while it was in my head so in the future when it may actually be of use it can be implemented :) But thank you for your feedback :D 

4 hours ago, Kasuha said:

And switching your oxygen supplies off during night is terrible idea, your dupes continue to breathe during sleep.

I laughed when you said this :D I know it is a bad idea I was just adding a bit of humor :p 

Archived