Goals suggestion - stay with me a moment

I've recently read the roadmap and I love the way you, Klei, are going with the dupes stuck on an asteroid and eventually wanting to do something about that. It's a system that has worked for many similar games. Oxygen Not Included has a very specific character and I've had a thought.

So many games sharing characteristics of survival, development, and building all have the same *identical* endgame goal. Build a rocket. Ocean survival in Subnautica? Build a rocket. Getting surrounded by biters in Factorio? Build a rocket. Auriga's dying in Endless Legend? Build. A. Rocket. It's always build a rocket. It's a trope at this point.

Oxygen Not Included is something really special with a lot of character. I'd be somewhat sad to see the dupes escaping the asteroid by... building a rocket. Buuuut there's another thing the dupes could do... something much more in line with the character of the game, the ridiculousness of the dupes, and the building inclinations of the playerbase. The wording of the roadmap actually has me wondering if you've thought of it. It'd be very cheeky in any case.

Let's turn the asteroid into a rocket. Let's dig up to the surface and put our boosters up there and supply them with rocket fuel. Let's build navigation equipment and put it in our command center. Let's accidentally run the asteroid into a swarm of space bugs and end up with them on the surface. It's goofy, it's stupid, it's a subversion of the tired rocket trope. It feels right.

@MrButtermancer yeah it feels right, it feel so right that imagining the concept of slowly turning the asteroid into a spaceship my brain automatically added a mess-hall dialogue between the the dupes discussing their options during late-game:

Frankie - "We need to find a way to GTFO guys, this place isn't big enough, It's not sustainable!"
Ren - "It has finally come to this.."
Jean - "But, this is our home now!"
Otto - "Don't be stupid, Jean."
Liera - "Otto, there is no need to be mean."
Camille - "Jean has a point! We can't just leave, we have made so many of our memories here, all of them to be exact!"
Mi-Ma - "Well what do you suggest we do? We're already overpopulated!.. All these knees in one place.."
Ada - "A hollow home and a hollow grave, a space rock so lonely, there is no escape.."
Rowan - "AT LEAST WE'LL DIE HERE TOGETHER!" *sob* "I LOVE YOU GUYS!"
Hassan - "You love me, Rowan?.."
Nails - *starts crying*
Catalina - "Focus everyone, we need a solution sooner rather then later!"
Travaldo - "Why don't we just take it with us?"
Stinky - "This is no time for jokes Travaldo!"
Mae - "Hmm.."

Almost sad that cut-scenes aren't very probable to appear.

Archived