Unknown crash on Steam Deck

SmashRookie
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Linux Known Issue

Playing the latest native Linux build of Oxygen Not Included on Steam Deck. Using the latest Stable release of SteamOS (version 3.5.17) and the Steam Client (version 1710458266). No mods enabled.

ONI is crashing for some unknown reason within the first 5 minutes of playing. The game stutters for a full second every few seconds, and then eventually freezes up my Steam Deck and causes it to restart. This all started a few days ago. There weren't any ONI updates or Steam updates, so I'm not sure what caused the issue to start. I tried running the game using the latest Proton version instead (v8.2), but the crash still occurs. I'm not sure what to do. Could you devs help me figure it out, please?

Steps to Reproduce

1. Load the provided save on a Steam Deck.

2. Fiddle around for a few minutes (open the thermal overlay, schedule some deconstruction errands, etc.) Pressing the colony overview button every once in a while (the one in the printing pod menu) helps to speed things up.

3. The game should crash and the console should restart.

Cantaloupe.sav

kplayerprefs.yaml

User Feedback

Both the crashing and the error listed at the end of the provided log makes me think that my issue might be related to this crash report right here, but maybe I'm wrong:

Share this comment

It seems like I have found a temporary workaround. By enabling Low Resolution Textures in ONI's Graphics settings, despite the game stuttering like it was before, it seems not to crash anymore. Unfortunately, I am not sure how much more progress I can make in this save before the fix will stop working. 

Share this comment

Nevermind. Crashing still happens. It seems to happen most frequently when the Duplicant schedule notification appears in the top left, and when opening the Colony Summary.

Share this comment

It does. By the way, the other day, Peter Han helped me figure out that the crash was caused by insufficient memory. Apparently, I had set the colony timelapse resolution to the maximum, which caused my Steam Deck to run out of memory and crash. I had completely forgotten that I had recently increased the timelapse resolution. I then decreased the timelapse resolution back to the default, and my game no longer crashes anymore.

Edited by SmashRookie

Share this comment

Changed Status to Known Issue

I was able to reproduce the issue by running your save for a number of cycles with the timelapse resolution set to maximum and then repeatedly viewing the Colony Summary until it ran out of memory. 

• Big Ups 1

Share this comment