steam room mistery

matteocdt
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

in my save i have opted to geotune a cool steam vent to harvest its steam directly with a steam turbine. there is an issue: the steam's temerature inside the insulated room drops drastically every time it is left alone, resulting in the turbines not being able to harvest it and leaving me with quite the pickle. i have checked the room's insulation for breaks but found none. as an added note, the outside surroundings are not being horribly roasted as you would expect from such a consistent heat leakage. hence, i am convinced that this issue is caused by a bug rather than a mistake on my part 

Steps to Reproduce

find the only tamed steam vent on the starting asteroid, detach the turbine water output, let the steam build up and watch as the steam's heat disappears into thin air!

The Glorious Mess.png

The Glorious Mess.sav

User Feedback

As far as I can tell, the vent is overpressurized, so it can't inject more heat.

Then, you have low temperature steam in a room that is exchanging heat with the side walls (40C-65C), so it's normal that your steam will lose heat. Insulated tiles are not perfect insulators. A single layer is usually not enough to keep the heat in - some people would be better placed to explain the detailed mechanics and how thermal conductivity is calculated, but as far as I understand, it's better to have 2 layers of insulated tiles. In any case, the inner layer will heat up over time anyway, until it reaches equilibrium temperature with the steam room.

I ran your save a few cycles and the insulated tiles around the steam room are slowly heating up, as expected.

I don't see a bug here - You should either pump some of the steam out to allow the vent to release hotter steam, or heat the steam room until the turbines can do that themselves.

Edited by NeoDeusMachina

Share this comment