Serious PC slowdown/internet connectivity issues when launching with DLC.

MrLar
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

While playing/launching the new expansion I have noticed a significant performance decrease in various places of my PC, most notably internet connectivity (it literally freezes at times). Other applications start to get ever so slightly slower etc.
I have isolated to this to ONI's new DLC, as it only happens while the game is open, and also only happens if the DLC is installed/enabled. No other application nor game causes any issues, the issue in fact also arises with just ONI and Steam open.
The worst part is, that you do not even have to load a save, just idling in the main menu is enough.
I have attempted to validate steam files, full re-installs, even deleted/moved all files associated with ONI, like saves, and the issue continued to arise.

Steps to Reproduce

Internet connectivity seemed to be the most reliable observation for me,

- Do a speedtest on something like speedtest.net, notice that it does not freeze and starts immediately 

- Open the game and idle in the main menu

-  Do another speedtest

- Speedtest either takes a while to start or freezes mid time

Alternatively you can observe your various other applications and look for subtle slow downs. However connectivity freezes were the most common for me.

User Feedback

similar for me and I think it may be related to cloud savings. It gives me a message cloud files are being synchronized and freezes at that.

Share this comment

Addendum:
Blocking UDP and TCP connections coming from ONI via firewall or other means fixes this issue for the time being.

(However probably also blocks cloud save usage)

Edited by MrLar

Share this comment