Pathing algorithm doesn't take waiting times into account

ringor
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Linux Pending

Unpowered Bunker Doors can take a really long time to open. Dupes will happily path through a Bunker Door that has just begun the lengthy opening process instead of taking the already open (powered) Bunker Door right next to it. They will wait, sleep, make messes and ultimately suffocate waiting - right next to an open door.

A simple "Move To" command a few steps in front of the already open door resolves the issue.

Suggestion: please take waiting times into account when choosing valid paths. At least if those waiting times are longer than a couple of seconds.

Steps to Reproduce

Have a not finished base where your dupes build a couple Bunker Doors next to another. Have a few of them not (yet) powered but already connected to your Space Scanners. Wait for the end of a Meteor Shower and have your dupes near an unpowered Bunker Door just beginning to open when they want to go back to eat/sleep etc.

• Like 1

User Feedback

Yes, it is annoying. But the complexity of the pathing algorithm probably goes through the roof is this is taken into account. Hence I would not expect this to get fixed. 

Share this comment

Encountered this since I started on my top of the map complete automation setup and it can get quite infuriating. Latest one is I had an unpowered bunker door closing, not opening, and two dupes pathing through it to get to their task. In terms of pathfinding complexity I don't quite understand the argument as the pathfinding works with auto, open and locked doors and even doors that get locked on a dupe's path, it would only take considering closing bunker doors as closed so no path through.

One that might indeed be a bit trickier though would be to add an "in use / active / ..." state to bunker doors which would help getting rid of the issue with both closing and opening bunker doors.

(With a bit of an example, door is "locked" but they still path through it and even moving them to reset their pathfinding will have them go back to this spot wanting to go through the closing door)

bunkerdoorpathingissue.jpg.383cffa42340a36d52bef916f204ccba.jpg

Share this comment