Orbit-only rocket launch cycling for infinite heat/resources/radiation is extremely exploitable

Nebbie
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Linux Pending

Bit of an odd report here as I haven't actually done anything with it myself, but I know in the version I play on it's a possibility (and I'm seriously considering using it when I get Radbolt Engines unlocked, and maybe capture CO2 too for shuttling):

Rocket exhaust is "free" in that it doesn't depend on the fuel burned, just being a set amount based on the engine. This mimics the base game, where rocket chimneys are quite seriously a way to support many, many dupes just by launching rockets a bunch because the fuel expended is less than what you get back, and in some (steam/hydrogen), exhaust can be made right back into fuel with minimal production chains. Spaced Out however creates a further problem in that you can launch to orbit and back...without expending any fuel at all, meaning infinite free resources from a one-time input.

This certainly leads to some problems, like how the Carbon Dioxide Engine is better fueled with its own exhaust than dupe breath (and can be a power source for steam turbines all the while), but it creates a severe balance issue with the Radbolt Engine, because the radioactive contaminants allow for extremely fast refueling on its own exhaust...when it's arguably the best engine in the game. You only need to fuel it once, and can then repeatedly order it up and down to get way, way more rads and heat than you would ever get from an exploding reactor. This exploit can be seen on full display in this video.

Recommendations:

1. All engines should use a certain amount of fuel for launching, but have their ranges stay the same by using proportionally less fuel on each tile, so that you can't launch to orbit and back infinitely without refueling.
  2. The Radbolt Engine should be tuned so that its total rad output from a launch and landing is equal to the rads spent in launching.
  3. Similarly, exhaust from a launch and landing for engines that use resources as fuel should be equal in mass to that expended in launching (so that you can't get more back out, only nearly what you put in even with a collection chimney).
  4. (Less important): The exhaust if the same as the fuel should just be put out at the same temperature, so Carbon Dioxide Engines and Steam Engines can't produce heat (basically free power, but that could mess up early bases).

Steps to Reproduce
  1. Build rocket (ideally with a Radbolt Engine, but Carbon Dioxide Engine or Steam Engine will work).
  2. Fuel once.
  3. Launch to orbit.
  4. Tell it to land.
  5. Enjoy free resources/heat/radiation.
  6. Go to 3 if the dupe isn't out of life support and such.

User Feedback