Memory errors leading to game crashes

Psuemno
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: Windows Pending

I'm pretty certain this is just an issue with my hardware or software somewhere, but I am getting crashes when my game attempts to save. It has happened both with autosaves and manual saves, though not all the time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it crashes. Based on my extremely uninformed reading of the error, it seems to be crashing due to running out of memory, perhaps while it tries to create the image for timelapses. I believe I've turned off timelapses since this has started, but it still seems to be happening. 

It may also have something to do with cloud saves being put onto my OneDrive. I may have limited OneDrive space available to me, which might be causing it to crash. I would move the saves to a different location but I'm not sure how to do that. Otherwise, if it is some hardware limitation, that would still be useful for me so I can determine what to upgrade to stop this from happening. I am currently playing with more dupes than I've ever had in the past, which is no doubt stressing my hardware. 

Steps to Reproduce

Save the game, either through autosave or manual saves, after playing for a bit. 

DxDiag.txt 50 dupes.sav

User Feedback

If you think that saving to your OneDrive when you have limited space might be causing you the issue, why not play off the save file locally, and find out if that is the cause?

I played locally on your save file for 5 cycles and did not have any issues.  It started at 6.5GB memory usage, and ended at 7.7GB (I have 32GB total). How much memory usage are you seeing when you play?

Edited by Vita Kaninen

Share this comment

5 cycles?  Did you get the petroleum boiler working?  Just kidding...

I would totally play locally, I just don't know how to migrate my saves to somewhere else without losing data. I combed through settings and didn't see a way to point the save folder somewhere else. However, I did clear out as much of the one-drive as I could (about 50% of it was being taken up by auto-saves just from ONI), so if that was the cause then perhaps I've bought some time.

ONI is currently taking up between 5.5 and 6.5gb of my memory. Though with other background processes running, I'm at 10.8gb total right now, which is 68% of available memory. I could see a world where a long session might cause that number to climb up closer and closer to 100%. 

Share this comment

Try running System File Checker, the error (0x8007000e) indicates that it's having issues saving in OneDrive. You can try configuring OneDrive sync settings to de-select the game folder.

The out of memory issue is a secondary issue, it just prevented the in game crash report from being submitted to us. Could you check if there is a file that starts with SimDLL_CRASH in your install directory and attach it here, or if it's too large let me know the file size? (right click the game in Steam -> Manage -> Browse local files)

• Like 1

Share this comment