Ice remains ice at +1.9C

Omdev
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Hello, we continue to enjoy the ONI, but some bugs have appeared in the previously working functions..

For example, ice stopped melting at -0.6C.

See attached game, ice stays icy at +1.9C!

Disabling all mods didn't change anything.

This problem is not only in this game - we saw it before.

Oxygen Not Included 07.08.2021 13_53_13_LI.jpg

CommitteeIcePlus1_9.sav

Steps to Reproduce

Download and run the game

User Feedback

As i reckon from game mechanics, the state changing temperatures are not exact. They have a margin of few degrees.

Share this comment

4 hours ago, Lomion said:

As i reckon from game mechanics, the state changing temperatures are not exact. They have a margin of few degrees.

Previously, all temperatures were exactly as described.

The mess has appeared recently

Share this comment

This may be an attempt to reduce/fix the "bouncing snowball" issue. Real Physics does something not quite like this too: In order to melt something, you have to add some more energy that does not heat the thing up. The next best thing in Oni is adding a hysteresis on temperature. However, I think this has been in the game for a very long time at least for some materials. In particular PH2O ice has been melting a bit above its stated melting point for a long time now. No idea whether that as ever different.

If it is that and hence intended, I think this is a good idea.

Edited by Gurgel
  • Like 1

Share this comment

Will there be a comment from the Klei?

Or will we continue to make assumptions without information?

Share this comment

The mechanic has been in game for some time.  I've been exploiting it with liquids to get a few degrees cooler than their listed freeze temperature for years.  The Wiki describes the behavior in all three phases: 

• Solids melts 3°C above their specified melting point. The same, liquids solidify 3 °C under their specified freezing point.
  • Liquids evaporate at 3 degrees above the specified vaporization point, and freeze at 3 degrees below the specified freezing point.
  • Gases will condense into a liquid if cooled 3 °C under their condensation point. The same, liquids will evaporate if heated up 3 °C above their condensation point.

The mechanic was listed on the liquids page since at least 2019 (with some minor updates), but it was only recently added to the solids page. Perhaps solids were recently brought in line with the other phases? Though I'm quite certain I've seen positive temperature ice quite some time ago.

Share this comment