Dupes unable to enter grounded rocket if it landed after waiting for another rocket to depart

Xirema
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

The glitch is kind of specific, but I've found it to be very consistent. If

1. Rocket A is trying to land at a Platform, but
  2. that Platform is blocked because Rocket B is sitting on it, then
  3. when Rocket B takes off from the platform, Rocket A will immediately attempt to land.
  4. As Rocket B leaves, Rocket A will successfully land, and
  5. any/all dupes loaded into Rocket A will depart from the rocket, BUT
  6. when Rocket A is told to launch again, no dupes will ever enter the rocket, and
  7. all objects inside the rocket will be marked as "inaccessible", and
  8. attempting to issue manual movement orders to dupes to move inside the rocket will show the interior as inaccessible.

Saving/Reloading seems to fix the issue, so my best guess is that it's a flaw in the pathfinding algorithm that glitches up at the precise moment of each rocket landing/launching.

Steps to Reproduce
  1. Build a Rocket Platform
  2. Build a rocket on that platform, and fuel it
  3. Launch it into a tile near to (but not within orbit of) the planet
  4. While it's traveling, build a new rocket on top of the platform
  5. Once the rocket in space reaches its destination, instruct it to turn around and land back on the original platform
  6. Wait for the rocket in space to reach the planet (will say "0s until arrival")
  7. Launch the grounded rocket into space (any location)
  8. Allow the rocket that was already in space to land
  9. After the rocket lands, instruct dupes to move into the rocket (won't work)
  10. Observe that resupply tasks in the rocket will never get completed
  11. Save the game
  12. Reload it
  13. See that dupes are now able to access the rocket interior

User Feedback

This bug is still occurring in the live version of the game. It's an especially annoying glitch because it makes automation of rockets difficult, owing to dupes who ignore orders to recrew a rocket because they're physically unable to path to the rocket.

Share this comment

The solution if you want to automate rockets would be easy: more rocket platforms so no two rockets "collide"

Reloading is not the only way to solve the issue. Moving the spacefarer module up and down also fixes pathfinding inside the module

Share this comment

On 1/20/2022 at 2:40 PM, sakura_sk said:

The solution if you want to automate rockets would be easy: more rocket platforms so no two rockets "collide"

Reloading is not the only way to solve the issue. Moving the spacefarer module up and down also fixes pathfinding inside the module

That's good to know.

It's not generally a problem if rockets get delayed by each other: I've set it up so that the cabins automatically receive enough O2 Water and Food to last 60 cycles; way, way longer than it would ever take for a rocket to go out, do some mining (or pickup from an asteroid) so spending a cycle or two stuck in orbit while a rocket on the ground refuels isn't a big deal. It is a big deal, though, if a rocket gets "stuck" on the ground because the pathing got screwed up by a rocket landing right as another takes off, and it takes me a while to notice because I was supervising a construction project making sure my dupes don't get stuck.

I also am already using 4 rocket platforms at once. Having to setup the reloading infrastructure took up a lot of space real estate, so if I want a substantial quantity of rockets operating simultaneously, I need to bind several rockets to the same platform, inviting this situation.

Share this comment