Dupes spawning with Tidying and Supplying break attribute bonuses from traits

Exe008
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Usually, most negative traits will give a bonus to the attributes a dupe is interested in. Some positive traits (the "gains Skill" ones) will reduce the attributes by up to -4.

However, dupes who spawn with 2 or 3 interests have a chance to spawn with both "Tidying" and "Supplying". Both those skills use the "Strength" attribute of the dupe.

In the case a dupe spawns like so, the attribute bonuses from the negative traits break. I have seen the bonus be too high, but have yet to find a case where the dupe would have received only too little of a boost...

Finally, I do not know if it is intended if a dupe spawns with a positive "gains Skill" trait which would decrease the bonus by -4, but spawns with no negative traits that impact the bonus (or impact it by at least +4) and therefore "cheats the system" by resulting in a dupe with e.g.

[single interest of +7 in construction / free Mechatronics Lvl. 3 Skill and also free Digging Lvl. 3 Skill / Gastrophobia and Squeamish] instead of

[single interest of +7-4-4 = -1 in construction / free Mechatronics Lvl. 3 Skill and also free Digging Lvl. 3 Skill / Gastrophobia and Squeamish]

Vanilla Skill Bonus broken 2.png

Vanilla Skill Bonus broken 3.png

Vanilla Skill Bonus broken.png

Steps to Reproduce

Roll a duplicant with 2 or 3 interests which include both of the strength based skills (Tidying and Supplying).

Add up the bonuses from the negative traits.

All mods were disabled for this.

User Feedback

The way it is presented is misleading. Those Strength bonus don't stack. If a Dupe has Tidying and Supplying interests, they will only receive the attribute bonus once.

Share this comment

I understand what you hint at. However, as you may be able to see from in the second example with Banhi, it still does not add up even if the bonus is counted only a single time (highlighted with +7 in the picture) to the strength stat. A trait bonus of +4 still does not raise the +3 strength base to the displayed +10.

I unfortunately forgot to highlight this on the other two pictures. But similarly in the first picture, the +2 bonus from traits cannot explain the strength value of 8 since a base value of 3 (+2 from traits) would only result in a total of str+5 and not +8... 

I hope this helped to clarify my bug report!

Edited by Exe008

Share this comment

Okay... I think I now was able to wrap my mind around the numbers in a different way and came to the conclusion that the game runs correctly, albeit in a rather convoluted way.

First picture: Interest bonus to strength +3 from Tidying and an additional + 3 from Supplying, add trait bonus of +2 for a total strength value of +8.

Second picture: Again, same interest bonuses of +3 and an additional +3, add trait bonus of +4 for a total strength value of +10.

Third picture: Interest bonuses for Tidying and Supplying give +1 and +1 respectively for a base strength value of +2, add trait bonuses of +7, factor in the +1 base to Digging..... for a total of 10 points. (5 to strength and 5 to excavation.)

I think this concludes this bug report. The game runs correctly, the displayed values are initially confusing but correct. Thank @Fradow for making me rethink the numbers a 3rd... 4th? time and finally arriving at the solution.

Please mark this bug as working as intended, on the off-chance others will search for the same information.

• Like 1

Share this comment